Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 ECLB K2500 w/8600 lb JB7 brakes (2.5”) drum brakes on the 14 bolt 9.5 SF rear axle w/o Gov lock (G80) & 3.73 (GT4), I have the 5.7L, and 4L80 also.

I believe the deciding factor on FF was powertrain combos. In the K2500, 5.7L got the SF, you needed either the 6.5 TD or 7.4L gas motor to get the FF rear axle. C/K3500 automatically got FFs even with 5.7L.

I think 2500 suburban got were the same as far as rear axle being dependent on what engine. I think the burbs FF rear came with slip on drums and hydroboost brake, JH7? (3.5”), not vacuum boosted (2.5”) JB7 brakes.
My 98 is a L31, NV4500, NP241C, 10.5 full floater came from the factory that way. Not sure what is the determining factor for getting a 10.5 but not all 5.7 came with 9.5.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Spent another 3 hours of shampooing and it’s not like new, but it’s “clean” and smells good. Also found a small silver bar which is not worth much but cool!

A weird thing I’m struggling with is turn signals/tail lights. My front passenger side corner marker light is somehow getting 12v to both sides of the plug and therefore not illuminating the bulb.

Also still have absolutely zero lights to the rear, haven’t metered them yet but I have to assume it’s somehow related to the corner marker. No fuses are blown I checked every fuse in the truck.
Have you looked at the wiring harness under the bed, for the rear lights? All sorts of hackery can happen there, particularly wherever trailer wiring has been installed.

Dantheman1540

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you looked at the wiring harness under the bed, for the rear lights? All sorts of hackery can happen there, particularly wherever trailer wiring has been installed.
Not yet, that’s a tomorrow plan. I know its been handing down looking all ghetto so it’s hopefully the culprit.
I had to rewire one that had telephone wire to wire up the trailer connector
Not much other use for telephone wires these days with cells ruling the world.

Dantheman1540

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skipped the gym before work to work on this door a little more. Didn’t realize my dynamatt stash was so low, but I got three sheets on I T beside of the out door skin. I’ll order another pack this week along with door speakers because the speaker in its cone is busted. Not sure how it didn’t sound like trash, it’s possible it wasn’t working at all I suppose.

The kick in the nuts is getting the lock mechanism out of the door handle and replaced with the original one so the key works. What a PITA!

Also noticed since oddly it was 43* in Florida this morning. The AC controls is busted and flopping around in the dash and not switching to hot. Couldn’t be blend door busted as well but since the co tell panel flops aimlessly it will get replaced.

And lastly I noticed that when the headlights are on the passenger side turn signal stays illuminated in the dash. Maybe this is actually a turn signal circuit board problem? I saw something when googling that those are known to go bad.

Oh oh and does anyone know where to get replacement exterior door handles? LMC doesn’t seem to have them or I can’t find it in their door parts IPB

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 7