Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to be getting in with the dyno people. The guy who owns the place doesn't do the work it looks like and he is a dyed in the wool Ford man anyways. The girl who answered the phone didn't hardly want to talk to me when I mentioned it was a GM truck.

But, I did get prices. They won't let me do the wrenching because it can't come off the dyno. It's $100/hr with the wheels turning and $75/hr in labor to swap the parts. I'm figuring around $300 for total with all the configurations I want to run tried.

That's a stock base line, stock air box and descreened MAF, then the Volant CAI w/ screened MAF, then Volant CAI with the descreened MAF. The guy said the would give me hp/tq numbers and the AFRs to match to see if it was leaning the truck out too much with the CAI installed.

So I guess now the question is if any of you are interested enough in this to help fund the dyno testing? I'll buy the parts and pay what ever I need to after that if anyone wants to chip in on it...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have both big and small block trucks to test parts with if people want to pitch in

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be willing to chip in to help you if you can get in with a dyno for a better deal than me. We can discuss what all we want tested so that everyone gets satisfied and we get the most for our respective monies. We are a group with maximum performance/$ in mind, I don't see why pooling our resources shouldn't be a good idea.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Agreed :handshake: Ill see what I can do. I know that just 3 power pulls is $80, but thats just a numbers run, they dont allow changing parts on that one

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
$125 an hour to have his tech run it, and I can change the parts out. Im going to start another thread on this, dont want to clutter this one up

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$125 an hour to have his tech run it, and I can change the parts out. Im going to start another thread on this, dont want to clutter this one up

I was going to suggest another thread too.

Last edited:

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Ill do it when I get home, dont feel like doin it on Tapatalk haha

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it makes no power difference, but I pulled off the silent and blocked it off the other day. I really like the easy it made that old 5.7l sound on the interstate. Pulling that bed on the trailer put quite a bit of drag up in the air stream so I was doing back to 3rd on the bigger hills and it was really singing a tune. Now I'm really wanting that 70 series flowmeter and dual exits on this thing.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
So, I'm about to eat some crow concerning air filters. I was directed to this test that was done on gmtruckcentral.com by our very own Aloicious.

www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html

I can tell you one thing. I'm never using K&N on a street truck again. I can only assume Spectre is the same, and my Volant is getting the stinkeye right now, too.