FRACK-Dead ECM ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Hey all,
I got a problem. Just installed a new oil press sending unit, To get to it I removed my dizzy.( needed a new gasket anyway). I replace the dizzy, and set timing. Had a problem at first cause I forgot to disconnect the EST wire. :Stupid Me: So I disconnect est, start er up, reset timing. Shut er down, insert jumper, reset iac, no codes, unplug jumper, turn the key to start and all I get is a loud click and all lighting goes out. Deader n ****. A couple of min goes by, lights come back on. Jumper back in, turn key, read codes, I get a 42, bad ICM or bad ECM. I checked the fuse in the cab, its good, so I,m thinkin ECM cause a dead ICM would'nt kill the lights like that would it? IDK??? :Frustrated: Frackity frackin frack!! All I wanted to do was change my freakin oil sender!

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I thought about the Battery, It is old. But what about the code and the lights comin back on after a delay? Would a bad batt screw with the ICM enough to throw that code?

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I thought about the Battery, It is old. But what about the code and the lights comin back on after a delay? Would a bad batt screw with the ICM enough to throw that code?
i dont know where you got your code listing from but here is the right code 42

42 electronic spark timing (EST) circuit grounded

the loud click you heard was the battery loosing connection

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
OK, I looked up codes online found what you toll me. Gonna charge battry overnite and check connections in the morn. Thx again.