Found the antifreeze leaking problem, maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have found the antifreeze leaking problem. I don't think it is the radiator, I think it is this fitting. It is directly behind the alternator, here's a picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anybody have a picture of what this fitting or hose connection is supposed to look like?

thanks,
Pat

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That just looks like the bypass hose. I bet if you just got a new hose and cleaned up the metal part good it would be good as new, maybe even unscrew the metal part and re Teflon it.
When I pulled my upper hose off it was similar. All idid was as mentioned!

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heater Core out??????????????????????

Ok, I replaced the hose and cleaned up the fitting. But after that something happened. Here's what I did, I added antifreeze to the radiator and the overflow tank. Put the radiator cap back on and started up the truck. Checked the hose and the fittings for leaks, no leaks.

I let it warm up for a bit and then checked the gauges and the temp was about 225-230 or close to it. The gauges stayed at this and was steady. I then went to ck the overflow tank, the level had risen the "hot" line (I had filled it to the cold level). Oddly the antifreeze in the overflow would bubble or gurgle at times.....what does that mean?

I then went back into the cab and turned the AC on, it blowed cold. Then I turned it to heat and turned the AC controls off, With the heat on the it blew cool or cold air, I let it blow for a minute or two and it still blew cool. For some reason I went to check if their were leaks, none, and to check the overflow tank. The overflow tank was empty.. The temp on the guage was about 125 (at the 1st line past zero).

Overflow tank empty, where did it go?

No, no leaks under the truck or from the hose I replaced. Should I suspect that the heater core has gone out and all the antifreeze from the overflow tank leaked into the cab? No time to check that, it started raining and I found that if the heater core had gone out it would leak into the cab on Youtube.

Thanks, Pat

Attachments

• 2014-09-20 19.41.54.jpg
    2014-09-20 19.41.54.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you didn't wait till the thermostat opened up fully before capping the system. It creates an air pocket in the heater core and upper engine.

Try refilling the radiator and holding the RPMs up around 1500 till heat starts blowing out the vents. Then re check the coolant and top off the overflow.

ernjohn

Reaction score
there is/was probably just a lot of air in the system that needs to work itself out. just keep it topped off and maybe take it for a drive up and down some steep hills.

as far the pics, looks like someone replaced the factory quick disconnect heater hose fitting in the manifold with a short pipe nipple and a section of hose. the quick-disconnect fittings are notorious for leaking/breaking - you're better off without 'em. if that section leaks again you can just snip the crimped aluminum part off the heater hose and use a longer pipe nipple into the intake.
currently: heater hose->crimped end->hose->pipe nipple->intake
to: heater hose -> pipe nipple -> intake.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the "quick connect" fitting with 1/2" pipe to AN-10 adapter. Then replaced that heater hose with a section of Aeroquip socketless AN-10 hose,along with a AN-10 socketless fitting.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you didn't wait till the thermostat opened up fully before capping the system. It creates an air pocket in the heater core and upper engine.

Try refilling the radiator and holding the RPMs up around 1500 till heat starts blowing out the vents. Then re check the coolant and top off the overflow.

Yeah, I did put the cap back on b/4 I restarted it to heat it up. I'll ck the radiator in the am.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
I recently drained and flushed my heater core. And though I did wait till the thermostat opened I heard gurgling in my heater core 2 days later, have not heard it since. With the heater core what I call upside down it will have air pockets in it that can take a bit to remove. After all the air purged I only added 1 quart of coolant to the over flow bottle.