Found the antifreeze leaking problem, maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still leaking, leaking from somewhere up near the front of transmission

Tried burping it this morning, took rad cap off and started it up. Ran it for a minute or two noticed the gauge was not moving, not getting hot. Happened to look under the truck and it was leaking rad fluid from somewhere up near the front of the fire wall / transmission . Can't determine where it is leaking from jacked it up / added jack stands got under it and placed a flashlight whined toward the hood but still can't determine where it is leaking from.

Could it be the heater core? No antifreeze smell in the cab but I'm going to take the cover off in the cab.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still leaking, leaking from somewhere up near the front of transmission on pass side

Tried burping it this morning, took rad cap off and started it up. Ran it for a minute or two noticed the gauge was not moving, not getting hot. Happened to look under the truck and it was leaking rad fluid from somewhere up near the front of the fire wall / transmission . Can't determine where it is leaking from jacked it up / added jack stands got under it and placed a flashlight whined toward the hood but still can't determine where it is leaking from. But it is leaking on the pass. side

Could it be the heater core? No antifreeze smell in the cab but I'm going to take the cover off in the cab.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
I would top off the radiator, attach the cap and start the truck to let it warm up, as it does it should start causing the coolant to leak and hopefully you can see where it is coming from.

Could be heater core hoses, freeze plugs, intake gasket, head gasket.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would top off the radiator, attach the cap and start the truck to let it warm up, as it does it should start causing the coolant to leak and hopefully you can see where it is coming from.

Could be heater core hoses, freeze plugs, intake gasket, head gasket.

Is not the heater core, took heater core cover off and it is as dry as a bone, no antifreeze in cover or cab of truck.

Put water in rad and over flow started engine, it leaks semi pours out. It is also leaking out with the engine off, topped off rad again and the rad has now leaked down.

Last edited:

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the oil is not milky. Checked yesterday and today and oil dip stick and filler cap are clean. I am suspecting it is a hose I can't see. May have to put it on 4 jack stands instead of 2 in the front.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have given up trying to figure it out. A friend is going to follow me to the repair shop in a couple of hours and I'm going to try to baby it to the shop. I's about 6 miles.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add "Stop Leak" to get to repair shop?

should I put some of that "Stop Leak" stuff in the rad to get it down there?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
mine was three expansion plugs someone put in my block before, inside of that i found a bunch of dirst and rocks and the old freeze plugs, im not gonna say it is that but if you cant see it and you have no mixing of fluids that may be a safe bet.