Forged lower control arms for 1998 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pap-repair

Reaction score
Did this actually work? Thinking of going to forged myself. Also found a k2500 6” lift for stupid cheap I want to put in my truck.
Yes, what I posted with the Interchange #'s and bushing #'s work great. I had no problems with alignment, and my new tires are wearing correctly.

I feel better with this upgrade. My truck already came with the big bars (snowplow option). Hardest part was getting the original bars out of the old stamped control arms.

Yes, I recommend this! Good luck with your forged arms upgrade
Peter

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes, what I posted with the Interchange #'s and bushing #'s work great. I had no problems with alignment, and my new tires are wearing correctly.

I feel better with this upgrade. My truck already came with the big bars (snowplow option). Hardest part was getting the original bars out of the old stamped control arms.

Yes, I recommend this! Good luck with your forged arms upgrade
Peter

Any change in turning radius? I've always thought mine was pretty bad, and it's been suggested that it's the forged arms. I really have no idea what else may have been different to arrive at that conclusion/theory, However.

pap-repair

Reaction score
Any change in turning radius? I've always thought mine was pretty bad, and it's been suggested that it's the forged arms. I really have no idea what else may have been different to arrive at that conclusion/theory, However.
Never really noticed. I always thought it was bad to begin with, and it is no better now. Sorry I cannot help here.

Jimmyspirits

Reaction score
Hi. New here and would love some help. In reading this a couple of times I'm still not sure if this applies to me. Have a 1999 tahoe that has lots of suspension rust and brake lines just keep giving out. I'd like to replace complete suspension and already ran into a problem finding parts. Lower control arms seem to be NLA. I have a torsion bar setup and the lowers are stamped I believe. Will the forged from a 2000 or others be a direct replacement? I found Moog forged for I believe 2000-05 or there abouts and would love to buy. Please advise. Thanks, Jim

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Have a 1999 tahoe that has lots of suspension rust and brake lines just keep giving out.

The hard lines are rusting? My lines in front are still original, but I've had a rear line rust out twice, near the gas tank filler. Typically you by lengths of straight line (or a roll), and bend them yourself. You can get prebent lines made of stainless steel, but that's a lot more expensive.
I'd recommend getting the copper alloy (NiCop/CuNiFe) brake line and bending it. It's more expensive than regular line, but bends easily, and won't rust. They sell a coated steel line that's not supposed to rust, but it didn't last for me.

The line I replaced was a pretty simple run of straight line, so it was no big deal. If you don't want to mess with a more complicated job, I'm sure a shop would use the copper alloy line if you asked them.

A word of caution, this is a copper alloy that's specifically made for brakes... it's not the same stuff you would find in the plumbing department of Lowes. The stuff for plumbing would work harden and crack, and is not safe for automotive use.

I'd like to replace complete suspension and already ran into a problem finding parts. Lower control arms seem to be NLA. I have a torsion bar setup and the lowers are stamped I believe. Will the forged from a 2000 or others be a direct replacement? I found Moog forged for I believe 2000-05 or there abouts and would love to buy. Please advise.

You generally don't have to replace lower control arms. You can replace the ball joints and bushings. Bushings are more of a pain... I've tried on upper control arms and failed. I don't have the tools to do it. I've never tried the lowers. Generally bushings last a long time, so you may not even need them. Mine are original, and look a little old/worn, but I'm pushing 300K miles.

The forged arms you're referring to are from the GMT-800 platform, not the GMT-400. There are people that swap suspension parts from newer trucks, but that's typically for larger/better brakes, not for maintenance purposes... it wouln't be a direct fit, at least not without changing a bunch of other stuff. The lower forged arms from a GMT-400 8-lug truck would swap in, but you're looking at a used part again, and I'm unsure if any other changes need to be made.

Jimmyspirits

Reaction score
The hard lines are rusting? My lines in front are still original, but I've had a rear line rust out twice, near the gas tank filler. Typically you by lengths of straight line (or a roll), and bend them yourself. You can get prebent lines made of stainless steel, but that's a lot more expensive.
I'd recommend getting the copper alloy (NiCop/CuNiFe) brake line and bending it. It's more expensive than regular line, but bends easily, and won't rust. They sell a coated steel line that's not supposed to rust, but it didn't last for me.

The line I replaced was a pretty simple run of straight line, so it was no big deal. If you don't want to mess with a more complicated job, I'm sure a shop would use the copper alloy line if you asked them.

A word of caution, this is a copper alloy that's specifically made for brakes... it's not the same stuff you would find in the plumbing department of Lowes. The stuff for plumbing would work harden and crack, and is not safe for automotive use.

You generally don't have to replace lower control arms. You can replace the ball joints and bushings. Bushings are more of a pain... I've tried on upper control arms and failed. I don't have the tools to do it. I've never tried the lowers. Generally bushings last a long time, so you may not even need them. Mine are original, and look a little old/worn, but I'm pushing 300K miles.

The forged arms you're referring to are from the GMT-800 platform, not the GMT-400. There are people that swap suspension parts from newer trucks, but that's typically for larger/better brakes, not for maintenance purposes... it wouln't be a direct fit, at least not without changing a bunch of other stuff. The lower forged arms from a GMT-400 8-lug truck would swap in, but you're looking at a used part again, and I'm unsure if any other changes need to be made.

Jimmyspirits

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes hard lines. rears, fronts all over. I will use that easy bend stuff which looks good. Not sure why they discontinued the lower control arm. Mine is just so rusty that's why I want to change. Truck only has 132K on it and rusting apart. cant afford to replace and love the truck but I've lost confidence in taking it anywhere but local. I've seen forged LCAs from a 1999 suburban that look the same except for not being stamped, but also appear NLA. Ebay used may be the way to go. Hate doing that. Has to be minimal rust or not worth it. Appreciate the help. Jim

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not sure why they discontinued the lower control arm. Mine is just so rusty that's why I want to change..... I've seen forged LCAs from a 1999 suburban that look the same except for not being stamped, but also appear NLA. Ebay used may be the way to go. Hate doing that. Has to be minimal rust or not worth it. Appreciate the help. Jim

They aren't available, because they're not really a maintenance part. Everyone changes the ball joints and if need be bushings. Replacing the whole assembly is more of a recent thing.

I think the numbers for the forged lower control arms are posted earlier in this thread. Ebay is best searched for stuff like this with the part numbers.

They'll be dirty, greasy, and possibly rusty, but they should clean up well. I blasted and painted mine about 12 years ago. You'll want to press in new ball joints.

Jimmyspirits

Reaction score
They aren't available, because they're not really a maintenance part. Everyone changes the ball joints and if need be bushings. Replacing the whole assembly is more of a recent thing.

I think the numbers for the forged lower control arms are posted earlier in this thread. Ebay is best searched for stuff like this with the part numbers.

They'll be dirty, greasy, and possibly rusty, but they should clean up well. I blasted and painted mine about 12 years ago. You'll want to press in new ball joints.
I appreciate that. You'd think the truck spent its life in the Yukon. I am in NY but I don't plow with it and I don't even use a lot. Poor materials I suspect. Might just repair lines and just wait for the next ball to drop. Just removing the components looks like a daunting task. All fasteners are gone for the most part UGH!!