For 5 Speed Manual trannys, What speeds do you up shift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Wondering what speeds mph wise you guys up shift your transmissions?

The up shift indicator lamp seems to want me to up shift sooner than I think is best. Like it wants me to up shift to 4 at about 25 mph and 5th at about 36 mph. These seem slow for those gear in my opinion.

And does anyone know what the owners manual recommends for up shift speeds?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you stay in the throttle doesn't the shift lamp go out then come back on again later in the rpm range? First light for best economy, second for best power? Can't remember what vehicle I had that was like that.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I shift a 4600rpms, all the gears , all the time

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Is by sound and engine speed. Mph is irrelevant. I usually shift somewhere around 1800 rpm. I say mph is irrelevant because in 4lo I can bang through all 5 gears before I move 10 feet if I go by the shift light.

Sent from Robl@nd

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
If you stay in the throttle doesn't the shift lamp go out then come back on again later in the rpm range? First light for best economy, second for best power? Can't remember what vehicle I had that was like that.

Don't know, I have not tried that. I am looking into getting a tachometer for it to shift more at the peak torque rpms.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I shift a 4600rpms, all the gears , all the time

Attaboy! A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Don't know, I have not tried that. I am looking into getting a tachometer for it to shift more at the peak torque rpms.

Gotta have a tach to drive a stick!! As important as an oil pressure & temp, gauge.

southernone

Reaction score
When I had the nv4500 I ignored the shift light and just drove the way we did before those stupid things