Folding type door mirrors breaking door glass.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Must be rough sitting on the wrong side in such a big truck with large 'ears'. Bad enough when you are on the right side. Clashing mirrors is pretty much a daily thing in the UK even when you're not driving a Suburban. .

Not really. I'm ideally placed to judge how close to the left I can be. And I'm 'feeling out' the road edge through feeling the bumps. Short of staying at home, there's not much more I can do.
Oncoming will never get mud on their tyres - they wont get within a foot of the road edge their side. That's just how it is in the UK.
This last time, the keenness of the guy to get away suggests he knew damned well he should have been further over. The time before, that driver accused me of being drunk and spouted BS that he'd been in 'that' puddle to avoid me. 'That puddle' was some way after the point of impact - as I made the police aware. And no, it wasn't me who called for the police.... or had to explain to a boss the damage to the work's vehicle...
Never had any of this when I drove an even larger truck for a living with the haulage company name on the front. Beginning to think they see the Suburban and think 'car' - then realise too late it's a bit bigger than that.

Could be that a large piece of glass 'pinged' your window rather than the plastic mirror hitting it.

The hole was casing shaped - before all of the glass fell in.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There ain't a mirror on the planet that isn't going to result in some kind of damage to various truck parts with an impact at those speeds..........

Agreed, but below 40mph and we're in 'man-walking-ahead-with-red-flag' territory.

You may want to stay off any Scottish roads that predate the Romans.

Just sayin'..........

Don't think the Romans came north into Scotland (think they built Hadrian's Wall to keep us Scots at bay).
Maybe it'd be better if they had ventured further north.....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes what I remember from high school world history is like what you said. The various tribes in lower Britain didn't like each other much, but they hated the Romans more. The Picts and Scots were constantly raiding the borderlands, ripping the Romans new ones on a regular basis. So yes they built Hadrian's Wall and one or two other fortifications to keep them from being overrun.
Never been to any of the UK but it's my understanding that in many areas the terrain dictates how big the road space is. I'm inclined to agree with you on the other drivers " not fixing to get their flash motor dirty ". And their unfamiliarity with the amount of space that our Burbs occupy! I have noticed in the few days we've been driving the F150 that people don't seem to crowd us as much. I think that's due to it being 4x4 and a bit taller than the Burb.
And the reluctance to get close to tractors....they know that'll tear them up to get smacked by it. Guess they don't know our trucks are "Like a Rock "......

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am beginning to think the Suburban looks too much like a car (previous owner had bull bar on it - maybe I shouldn't have removed it) and the car it will look most like to them is a 1970/80s Japanese model styled to American taste and and as wide as a shoebox.

Yep, the Romans didn't tangle with the Scots! And you're right - the roads go where they fit - and sometimes even where they don't.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I am beginning to think the Suburban looks too much like a car (previous owner had bull bar on it - maybe I shouldn't have removed it) and the car it will look most like to them is a 1970/80s Japanese model styled to American taste and and as wide as a shoebox.

Yep, the Romans didn't tangle with the Scots! And you're right - the roads go where they fit - and sometimes even where they don't.
Maybe that's why he had the bull bar on it! Then it would look more like a truck.
And to all those on here who call the factory mirrors that our Burbs have " dumbo ears": no that's what the tow mirrors are! Those really stick out! Obviously, when towing a trailer, particularly a big one, you do need that style mirror.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe that's why he had the bull bar on it! Then it would look more like a truck.
And to all those on here who call the factory mirrors that our Burbs have " dumbo ears": no that's what the tow mirrors are! Those really stick out! Obviously, when towing a trailer, particularly a big one, you do need that style mirror.

I like out mirrors. Feel like they fit the truck right.. . Maybe just got use to them

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed, but below 40mph and we're in 'man-walking-ahead-with-red-flag' territory.

Don't think the Romans came north into Scotland (think they built Hadrian's Wall to keep us Scots at bay).
Maybe it'd be better if they had ventured further north.....

Yeah, but the Romans invaded twice--the Scots made it so untenable the first time they left, but when they Romans returned they occupied a bit more of the Britain the second time--I thought they made it well into Scotland the second go-round......?

Regardless, most of the back roads I was on in England/Scotland and Ireland were obviously established well before the Ye Old Motor Car was around........

Kind've like a lot of the "roads" in the back country of the Rockies were built for horse teams and wagons--they are really just two track trails. They are quite negotiable in Jeeps and even pickups prior to the GMT400 size/width trucks. But today's new yuppie x-cabs and crew cabs along with the width keeps those trucks on more established roads

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, but the Romans invaded twice--the Scots made it so untenable the first time they left, but when they Romans returned they occupied a bit more of the Britain the second time--I thought they made it well into Scotland the second go-round......?

I'm not much of a historian - maybe if I was better with mirrors I'd know more of what's behind me....
....but, the animosity at the time between the English and Scots was the predominant issue I think. The Romans troubled the English more than the Scots. Noticeably in current times though, the English still have a beef with the Europeans (see Brexit) where the Scots don't.

Regardless, most of the back roads I was on in England/Scotland and Ireland were obviously established well before the Ye Old Motor Car was around........

Many of our roads will have developed from sheep/cattle herding routes when it was all done on foot. They follow the path of the natural (mountainous) terrain and bridges over waterways, and borders containing the properties of laird landowners.

Kind've like a lot of the "roads" in the back country of the Rockies were built for horse teams and wagons--they are really just two track trails. They are quite negotiable in Jeeps and even pickups prior to the GMT400 size/width trucks. But today's new yuppie x-cabs and crew cabs along with the width keeps those trucks on more established roads

That's kind of what happened here. SUVs became popular beginning with Range Rovers (many bought for the sense of safety and security they imparted) and as HWB alluded, they're damned if they're getting their tyres muddy. They weren't that good as drivers before they bought them and haven't improved since. They just don't have the balls to go to the road edge on their side. They bought a big SUV to compensate for their lack of driving skill - not because they have the skill to drive it.
Last bump though was with a FreeLander - quite a small SUV. Guy driving it must have not been paying attention (dicking with his phone or fawning with his dick perhaps) as there was room for both of us. I was concentrating on my left (as any further left and I've been off the road) and didn't really see what he did. Just saw him coming initially and did what was required of me. That's what ****** me off. I'm keeping my side of the bargain - they don't think they have to do anything.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in England for a week or two the last three years in a row. None of the roads are straight, and they're narrow compared to rural Oklahoma roads. I think we should send all our teenagers to England for a couple months to drive before we let them drive on our roads. They'd learn lane discipline real fast! Texting? Not unless you want to eat a hedgerow. One week driving in England and you'll never have trouble with a roundabout again! I consider myself a good driver, and it was a real learning experience for me. I really had to be on my toes.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was in England for a week or two the last three years in a row. None of the roads are straight, and they're narrow compared to rural Oklahoma roads. I think we should send all our teenagers to England for a couple months to drive before we let them drive on our roads. They'd learn lane discipline real fast! Texting? Not unless you want to eat a hedgerow. One week driving in England and you'll never have trouble with a roundabout again! I consider myself a good driver, and it was a real learning experience for me. I really had to be on my toes.

Take the above, shrink to 3/4 size and now you're in Scotland!
One of the reasons Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart were the precise drivers they were was that they were raised on tight Scottish roads. Typically, Scottish race tracks were also small and tight (many of the tracks in England were disused airfields - eg, Silverstone - so very open. When JC and JS arrived on English (and other) circuits their precision paid off.