Fog light placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I agree with the above about getting Barons harness. That alone with some decent quality Halogen bulbs will increase your light ouput since the lights are now drawing power directly from the battery. While they wont be as bright as HID they will be a ton better then stock.

On the subject of hid this is what i have in my K3500 this is a kit that we used to sell but have since replaced. (I'm the canadian vendor for Hyper Leds). This is a 6000KV Bi Xenon H4 kit in the work truck style set up. It has its own relay harness in it.

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a fog light set up i used to have on my old Dodge ram it was a pair of SRB 6" 55 watt lights these were sold by Princess auto up here in canada.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Costs roughly $10 in parts. You need a relay, fuse, connectors, some wire, heatshrink, all that jazz. Tap some power from the high beams to run to the signal side of the relay. Then run a power wire with a fuse to the power side of the relay and then onto the low beams. There are writeups, just search google.

I thought you meant someplace sold the whole kit and caboodle.

I could most definitely make my own for under $30. But can I guarantee that mine would be up to ***** compared to Mean Green's? (not comfortable calling people who I've never met nor even seen a picture of by their first name) Probably not. This whole project was originally supposed to be a way to burn a ~$50 hole in my wallet and now... well now sh*ts getting expensive.

sewlow58 said:
Get the 4-Hi wiring kit from Baron (Mean Green). Better quality & thicker gauge wiring. Little more $$$ though, but very worth it. I've had the others, ebay & LMC, & there is NO comparison. And his come with simple detailed instructions that are understandable & in real 'English'! As opposed to being translated from chinese to english by someone that speaks chinese first! The first kit I had in my black truck was an ebay special. They'd flicker or just not work all the time. Ripped it out & installed one of Baron's. Much better. Works the way a mod should. First time, every time. No worries. Takes about 1/2 -1 hour for the install. And that's hard wiring it in.

Thats a few recommendations for getting Mean Green's 4-hi kit. So half an hour to forty-five minutes for "plug-in-play", huh? If I'm paying $100 for a bunch of wires, split loom, electrical tape, relays, relay harnesses, bulb connectors, and wire terminals, I shouldn't have any issues with it at all and I should be able to rip it out and put it the next couple of 400's I get when the time comes. $30 is a hardwired, let-the-junk-yard-deal-with-it mod. $100 is an investment.

For right now, I have the money to spend on amber fogs and their HID replacements, plus wiring them to an OEM dash switch with quality electrical components. (I try not to skimp doing my own work.) Might earn enough doing odd jobs over spring break to pay for Mean Green's harness. After that, it'll be a while til I can do the HID conversion. I'm excited about it, but I'm not gonna rush it. My sound system was the same way and I'm damn glad I didn't rush it.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
you would literally need to take about 5-10 min taking the grille off and undoing the bolts that hold the head lights on...other then that its a matter of routing the wire through the openings in the rad support (this is why the grill needs to come off to access those openings). plug in the imput end of the harness into the trucks OE harness then route it along the rad support from right to left side and connect your lights, another 10 or so min putting things together and enjoy your now increased light out put. Because of some problems with my fog light choices initially i wound up turning a 2 hour job into an 8 hour job lol..but the actual hid install and headlight housing change took me like 30 min if that.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think yopu have a good plan.

just a few things.
Getting the clear housings first are a good idea as them alone will give you an upgrade in light.
i wouldn't do 55w hids in a small amber housing. 2 reasons. 1. too much heat 2. super bright fogs are just as bad as two dim. just go with 35w they will have more than enough.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had exactly zero trouble out of my harness from baron (mean green) for over a year now. It works flawlessly an because of it so do my hids. They both start up every time an there are no flickering or other issues whatsoever that you can get with these hid kits an no or cheaper quality relay harnesses. It most definitely can be removed from the truck an reused on another as many times as you'd like.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think yopu have a good plan.
just a few things.
Getting the clear housings first are a good idea as them alone will give you an upgrade in light.
i wouldn't do 55w hids in a small amber housing. 2 reasons. 1. too much heat 2. super bright fogs are just as bad as two dim. just go with 35w they will have more than enough.

Thanks. I looked much further into my amber fogs and HID replacements today and I've come to accept 35w 3000k HIDs are best for them.

Darkrider said:
you would literally need to take about 5-10 min taking the grille off and undoing the bolts that hold the head lights on...other then that its a matter of routing the wire through the openings in the rad support (this is why the grill needs to come off to access those openings). plug in the imput end of the harness into the trucks OE harness then route it along the rad support from right to left side and connect your lights, another 10 or so min putting things together and enjoy your now increased light out put. Because of some problems with my fog light choices initially i wound up turning a 2 hour job into an 8 hour job lol..but the actual hid install and headlight housing change took me like 30 min if that.

Well now I won't have to read any instructions. lol. Thanks. I probably would have figured out routing by myself but thats a few minutes less for me to stand there and think. I usually have a knack for routing and wiring.

bluex said:
It most definitely can be removed from the truck an reused on another as many times as you'd like.
I suppose for that ability PLUS the numerous recommendations and good-words on the quality and flawlessness of his harness, I'd pay $100.

Darkrider said:
That alone with some decent quality Halogen bulbs will increase your light ouput since the lights are now drawing power directly from the battery. While they wont be as bright as HID they will be a ton better then stock.
Can't say whether or not my halogens are decent quality... but compared to the ones I had when I originally bought the truck plus the stock housings, what I have now (***-crap replacement housing + bulbs) is night and day. (used to have to use my brights IN town on lamp-less streets)

4-Hi mod and then I'll save up for HIDs. not gonna worry about getting high-quality halogens in-between those.

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do your upgrades in this order.

1. Clear lights with the glare shield
2. Barons HD 4 hi harness.
3. Good halogen bulbs (something like sliverstars) or hid. I picked hid due to the cost. They were $35 versus $50 for the silverstars or other high end halogen bulb.

The harness is pretty much mandatory for hids due to the startup current required. They will work without them but not to there full potential. Without a harness the hid could flicker or one could fail to light completely because there wasn't enough available current to light them both off.

The HD harness will help with halogens as well since they will be getting battery/alternator voltages (usually about 14.4v when running) at the bulb instead of what comes out of your headlight switch which can sometimes be as low as 11.5v.

You could try the halogens you have before buying the hid kit an you might be satisfied with the light output there. The clear lens an harness will make a huge difference on there own....

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I don't get why everyone rides the Mean Green HD headlight harness or nothing bandwagon. I wired my 4 high myself and the HIDs work fine.:shrug:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I don't get why everyone rides the Mean Green HD headlight harness or nothing bandwagon. I wired my 4 high myself and the HIDs work fine.:shrug:

Fellow forum friend/gmt400 owner loyalty :shrug: