Fog Light Frustration with wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattmacklind

Reaction score
I just spoke with my electrical engineering friend. I'm taking it all to his house. He said the same thing about the grounding. I'll post a final update later this week.

mattmacklind

Reaction score
OK, so here'w what we have so far. The relay was not correctly wired and my main ground off the relay was weak. The ground for the lights and the switch were good. So, re wired the relay and established a better ground and it was great. While doing so, the inline fuse from the switch to the battery blew, and was replaced with a 30A fuse. All was well. I drive home, and turn them on in the driveway, and the fuse blows again. So something is not right in there. Back at it tomorrow! Never worked so hard for a pair of lights.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please tell us your not using a 30 amp fuse in the bat to switch wire that should be a 3 or 5 amp and the bat to relay Should be a 20-30 amp fuse. You have a major short to blow a 30 amp fuse.

mattmacklind

Reaction score
Yes thats it! I think its probably the ground for the lights themselves assuming everything is working correctly.

mattmacklind

Reaction score
Well, it turned out once everything was connected, the switch needed to be wired opposite from its markings. The switch was not turning the power off but turning the power on to ground and blowing the in line fuse from the battery to the switch. So when I turned off the lights after testing them once I was in the car, the fuse blew. Anyway, they work now, 20A fuse there now working great.