Flowtech or Summit shorty headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Advance Auto carries the the Flowtech... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/flowtech-standard-header-11504flt/6310109-P?searchTerm=headers

Wonder how good they might be? Rest of my exhaust probably needs overhauling as well, but replacing the manifolds with actual headers was always something I wanted to do to at least one of my trucks. Figure the 5.7 V8 would be the most ideal candidate to date.

I like the Flowtech headers good prices, but no one on here has anything nice to say lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Honestly, I think shorty headers are a waste of time.

*note: I am not basing this off experience, just what I've heard and read.

It seems that you don't get any real gains from them. If you're going to spend the money and put in the work, might as well go with some long-tubes or Tri-Y's. Sure, they're more money, but I guess it just comes down to the great "budget vs. performance" debate. That's all.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
no but for a stock engine or in the right circumstance a shorty header can give you beneficial gains. of course they are a world of difference over stock but putting long tubes on a bone stock motor may actually kill performance.

most people are after the look and sound and a small gain which over a manifold they do wonderfully. theres way too many variables that go into selcter an proper exhaust that most people dont understand, instead people go for what looks coolest or sounds the best.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Correct! You will even gain by replacing the stock y-pipe. It's all about flow. Shorty headers actually help at the higher end of the torque curve, where long tubes help at the lower end.

Sent from Robl@nd

Terrible03

Reaction score
Wonderful discussion here! My two cents :
I'm a long tube fan. Every truck I've owned, first thing I did was put long tubes and straight duals on. BUT, with my 92, I put on shorty headers. Was a lot of thinking involved. What it came down to was the the trucks make AWESOME low range torque anyway. It's mid and high were they lack. Which shorties are perfect for. Long tubes are great for low range, but don't do mid and high like a shorty. Plus, there's not a whole lot of room under these trucks for exhaust. So with my shorties, I put in a short elbow and a thrush glass pack on each side. End of exhaust. Total of MAYBE 3 feet lol. With long tubes, I'd have to put in a y pipe which I hate. Outcome - AWESOME! The flow was awesome, woke up the engine all the way to 4 grand (I love mud haha) and never lost any power at the low end. I actually gained through the entire band. Then again I also put in a torker2 carb intake and a 454 throttle body with cop injectors on a 305 lol. It loved that combination tho. I was pullin trucks out of creeks when NBS diesels couldn't budge them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea what brand mine are but headers with glass packs still screams with flex pipe that goes barely to the back of the cab but I love the sound when I rev it

And I think it's long tubes

Last edited: