Flat towing with a tow bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edahall

Reaction score
I'm going to be flat towing with a tow bar a 1972 Chevy 4x4 from Washington to Texas. I'll be going through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico and Texas. It'll be around 2500 miles total. I'll be using my Suburban.

I'm pretty sure that the truck will need to be licensed to tow it. But will it need to be insured?

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Call insurance carrier. When I tow boats in AZ, if it's on my ass end, the policy for the truck covers it.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same here in Mass, as long as the trailer is registered, anything being towed is covered under the insurance of the truck towing it. (read; no trailer insurance)

Also in Mass in order to register a vehicle, you must have insurance or it voids the registration.
I would double check with your insurance carrier.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There may also be a form you can submit to the DMV stating why the vehicle is not insured or doesn't need to be insured. For example, is it non-running (so it's gonna sit parked), is it a project (in pieces, so it's not on the road).