Flashing an ECM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albani

Reaction score
I've heard many different things on how it can be done.
Must take truck to dealer.
Can take truck to most tuners.
Can take just ECM to tuners.
Found on local Craigslist....
Mobile tuner says he can flash in my driveway.
Mobile tuner who says Dodge and Ford can be done on driveway, but Chevy has to be done at the shop.

Which one is true?

By the way...
96 K1500 350 Vortec
Completely stock w/ 230k miles

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of any of those craigslist/facebook local tuners. I'm sure not all of them are bad, but I've heard some horror stories. Personally I'd only let a tuning company with a reputation tune my PCM.

You can take it to a dealer, but they'll charge you over $100 just to put a factory tune on it. A place like Black Bear Performance will give you a performane tune that will run much better than stock, with free re-tunes for the life of the vehicle.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Ive done a couple wait4meperformance.com tunes which they get used EMCs from junkyards and send it to you and you can return yours as a core or keep it to return to stock.

Ive also done trifecta tuning which you need a laptop and they email you your tune and you download it yourself through your OBD2 port. They sell the cable for like $20 or $30 and you can then use your laptop as a code reader on any car too with their program

Both are good options but I definatly like the Trifecta tune more because you can go back to stock within seconds by yourself