First timer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i will be attempting to paint my vehicle for the first time ever. i have done touch up jobs on vehicles before and some extra stuff like grills and things but it always done by rattle can. this will be my first "real" paint job. Just looking for advice on spray guns and paint brands, materials etc... will probably be doing black or silver metallic. any help will be appreciated. i have the knowledge of what to do i just do not have physical experience.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I was just like you not too long ago. I always touched up things with rattle cans, but not too long ago i started doing some big projects. Such as painting my wheels, bumpers, grille, etc, all professionally. My favorite paint that I use and reccomend to ANYONE is Dupli-color paintshop car laquer. its pre-mixed. about 20$ a can, and very easy to use, and gives amazing results

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wc...//N3276/large/7141546_dpl_bsp204_pri_larg.jpg

i use this stuff for everything, they have it avaliable at almost every automotive store. You can also buy paintguns at almost every store. I reccomend getting 2 of any brand. 1 for clear coat and 1 for color. They also sell Duplicolor paintshop clear coat at every store.

But all i can say is you need to prep every surface right before you paint it!! PM me if you need more help

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks man i appreciate it do you use the same gun for primer and color? my compressor is a 2.5 hp 30 gallon it only puts out 7 cfnm @ 40psi will i need a certain gun for this. And will i need a respirator?

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
thanks man i appreciate it do you use the same gun for primer and color? my compressor is a 2.5 hp 30 gallon it only puts out 7 cfnm @ 40psi will i need a certain gun for this. And will i need a respirator?

i wouldnt recommend using the same gun for primer due to the fact that if you dont get it really clean after primering you take a chance of the hardened primer going onto your color when you paint then there you are. any gun will work a 1.4 tip and up for primer,base,and clear. a gravity feed is your best bet, not suction type cuz lots of overspray and with gravity feed you can adjust your fluid (color) and air pressure to match the fluid. this way too you wont use as much air as you would if you were using a suction type and you wont run your compresser to death. if you working in a shop or in a garage, yes i would use a respirator, i do everyday. now painting outside you will be ok. hope that helped a bit

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

You'll want a HVLP gun.