First real test drive today, after V8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know...... it's getting to the point where the aftermarket heads are more trouble than they are worth.

I'm wanting to put the factory heads back on because that would be easier than tuning the aluminum junk, and likely be more reliable. Grrrrrrr.

I digress, however, because like I said the RCSB is on the back burner for now.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2- I've got aluminum Trick Flow heads and an Edelbrock Performer TBI manifold on my 305 powered Firebird and it runs just fine.
I have had a couple TBIs with different heads as well that ran on the stock tuning, but ran a lot better with tuning. I ran ported 113s off a ZZ4 and the ZZ4 cam on the L05 350 in my G20 van years ago.

On stock tune that ZZ4 setup wanted 10* initial with the EST wire disconnected, which was only about 32* total at WOT.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have had a couple TBIs with different heads as well that ran on the stock tuning, but ran a lot better with tuning. I ran ported 113s off a ZZ4 and the ZZ4 cam on the L05 350 in my G20 van years ago.

On stock tune that ZZ4 setup wanted 10* initial with the EST wire disconnected, which was only about 32* total at WOT.

I forgot that I have a stage one JET chip in it. Oh man, was I ever excited to install that bad boy at age 18. Thought I was going get all those lost bald eagles to come home & roost...

Needless to say, my car needs to be tuned, I can tell there's plenty left on the table at WOT. But my goal was to make the thing just as fast as a stock 350 TPI car. Well, I raced one several years ago and beat it, so mission accomplished.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well Schurkey put aftermarket heads on his and it runs OK without a tune, so I still think there's something else you're missing.

Oh really.

Well, I'm going to attempt using Tunerpro again today. I'm still 100% lost on what to do/how to use it. The hardware part is easy. It's the bin file and the mask that I've no clue about. Like, how am I supposed to find a random bin file out there in cyberspace for my SPECIFIC setup? That's an unknown variable that I don't like.

I did, however, read that you can't see live data with Tunerpro, and that you need Tunerpro RT to do that. Then, WTF is the point of the free version?

EDIT: Round 2 is a failure lol. People with pea-sized brains and zero patience (such as me) aren't meant for this level of learning curve/troubleshooting.

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Tunerpro RT
Also free but has the time out screen asking you to register it for a few seconds before it lets you close the popup window and use the program.

I think i pulled my definition(?) files from the tunerpro webpage. If I'm not mistaken, good possibility, the files you need for seeing live data Depend upon the ecm number you have installed in the truck.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going back a few pages everyone was talking about their battery chargers.. here is mine. Found it at a yard sale for $10. Lady told me it was broken, for $10 I didn’t care, I thought on fixing it.

Came home, plugged it in and waaailaaa!! It worked. Been using it for about 7 years or so

DeWalt DXAEC210, 70 amp battery charger / 210 amp engine start

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 1

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how am I supposed to find a random bin file out there in cyberspace for my SPECIFIC setup? That's an unknown variable that I don't like.
You don't. Not very many "tuners" want to give away their .bins (due to liabilities and/or profit), you upload your .bin from your chip (or a similar one that has the same four letter calibration) using something like the Moates Burn2. Then adjust the tables to optimize performance on your engine, burn a chip, and go for a ride. Data log with TunerPro RT (yes, it's still free), modify, burn, rinse and repeat until you're happy.

Orrr - you can go with the EBL Flash-II which has some .bins to start with, and can "tune" your VE tables for desired AFRs. You adjust SA, AE, PE, etc, on your own.

Here's a link for you to read about "Introduction to tuning" parts 1 & 2 plus the Flash-II page that explains what it can do. HTH
www.dynamicefi.com/