First limited slip...forgive my dumb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtdegreenia

Reaction score
Hello everyone been lerking on here for a while and have always been pointed the right way, please be gentle as I'm sure I'm about to ask the dumbest question on planet earth...
I'm about to dive into my first limited slip venture. Been looking into it and compared the gov bomb against others and decided to go with a yukon lsd. The question is in learning I saw the gov bomb has a "safety" weight that prevents lock up at speed. Unless I missed something the aftermarket ones don't seem to have such a device. I live in the northeast and snow/ice is the norm....most years. Will the yukon engage at speed (under the right circumstances) and if so will it pose a danger to the truck or crash risk? The reason I'm asking is this truck carries previous cargo of the baby variety and just being over cautious I suppose

It's a 98 gmc c1500 sle extended cab 5.7 auto

Thanks for your input!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No there isn’t safety feature, just will take a minuts to get used to the way it drives. At speed you won’t notice it’s a posi, less take a corner too fast when it’s slick n hit the loud pedal….

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gov-Bomb not engaging above a certain speed is ABSOLUTELY a "safety feature".

When both rear wheels are spinning, the vehicle has no directional control. If one is spinning while the other has even modest traction, the vehicle has directional control until inertia overcomes the modest traction.

I decided against putting a locking differential/limited slip in the Trailblazer, because SWMBO drove it, and I didn't want her in the ditch because she hit the gas too hard on ice.

A "limited slip" or non-Gov-Bomb locking differential will give you better traction, up to the point where both tires break loose, and then you'd better react quickly.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When both rear wheels are spinning, the vehicle has no directional control. If one is spinning while the other has even modest traction, the vehicle has directional control until inertia overcomes the modest traction.
The above when reversing uphill on ice/snow is a situation where it becomes problematic.