Finding my A/C leak before compressor replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
With the way the ac system is designed in these trucks, sometimes one will hold vacuum, but not pressure. This is especially true if its the compressor that is leaking. Good luck on finding the leak, I know sometimes they can be a motha%$$#@%.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Out here with it now. Actually had more pressure than before, sitting at 39 or so psi. 20 degrees warmer today, guessing that's why. Pulling a test vacuum on it now. Will leave it under vacuum until tomorrow and check again.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
after about 10 minutes it had dropped (raised?) from 29 in/hg to 26. So definitely a leak somewhere. Found what might be a leak where the under truck a/c lines connect up into the rear evaporator. Either way, I'm gonna start the flushing process on Friday and try to get everything installed by Saturday evening.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Would definately put around 100 psi in it with a air nozzle and check everything you can see with a squirt bottle of soapy water like checking a tire for leaks. If it is leaking that fast, you may even be able to hear it.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Got it done this weekend. Found a small rub through on the high side hose of the 'octopus' manifold hose (extra hose for rear a/c). Advance was able to have it for me today (Sunday) so I could finish. System had no orifice tube in it, so it never would have worked anyway. Compressor was totally trashed inside. Double flush the entire system, got lots of silver solvent coming out, no big chunks, just fine ground stuff.

Yesterday, pull apart and removed all the old parts, flushed everything else twice, blew out everything and left the hose ends open all night to make sure the solvent evaporated. Ordered new hose. Bought new heater hose quick disconnect assembly, since I had to move it oh so slightly, so it leaked, because the suck...

Today, added oil to everything, replaced the compressor, manifold hose assembly, drier, orifice tube, high side switch, cycling switch, every o-ring I could reach, and installed that inline filter. Pulled vacuum, it held for 40 minutes while I put other things back together, then turned the vacuum pump back on and went and started breakfast. Came back out and buggered around with some other things for awhile. After 3 hours of pulling vacuum filled the system with about 66 oz of freon (calls for 64). Ambient temp today was 42 degrees. Clutch was cycling on for about 1 minute, off for one minute. While on low side was 20 PSI, high side was about 100 PSI. Seems about right for the outdoor temp.

Of course, fix one thing break 800 more things. Found a leak in the radiator. The headlight adjusters are frozen and corner lights had broken mount posts on them from before I owned the Burb. Ordered all new stuff today.