Fed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nktidwel

Reaction score
This is my first post, I can usually find what I'm looking for with the search function... So hi :)

The vehicle: 1998 Silverado 2wd, extended cab. 350 vortec with a 4l60e... 1907xx miles

The latest problem. Camshaft doesn't turn with crank.

What's recently been done:
1. Rebuilt transmission ~1500 miles ago due to sunshell failure
2. Replaced flex plate (should have peeked at that while I did the transmission as it was installed backwards!!! YAY!!!
3. Fixed a couple of minor hose leaks and drain plug in radiator
4. Attempted to set timing and found that it was never even close
5. Found slack in the timing chain, also was not properly aligned, like it jumped, replaced oil pain gasket, timing chain, timing chain cover, and water pump. (Today)

I have installed a few timing chains on other chevy 350s, only difference is that the camshaft doesn't turn as of today. It turned before the chain and gears were replaced, but with a delay due to the slack.

The crank gear was tapped on with a deep well 32mm socket and a 2lb hammer, not pounded and keyway aligned, notch facing 12 o'clock. Cam gear was aligned with alignment pin, while placing chain on crank gear. 3 bolts were tightend appropriately, notch facing at 6 o'clock. Installed oil pan gasket and timing cover, and accessories.
What have I done wrong?

You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The crank gear should have just slipped on with no resistance if im not mistaken, not that it explains your issue. From your pictures everything looks fine, so is the chain spinning?

nktidwel

Reaction score
The reluctor wheel screwed everything up. So worn, it rubbed against the crank gear, and trashed the chain and gears. The new reluctor is noticeably taller if laid next to the old one.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
How do you know the cam isn't turning with the crankshaft? To what force did you torque the cam gear/cam bolts?

nktidwel

Reaction score
All spin as it should. There was a noticeable difference in reluctors. Not sure if you can tell in the pic, but the bevel on the new comes out significantly more than the original. After installation, there is no rubbing on the chain or teeth of the crank gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Did you put the key back in the crank? And I agree, how are you certain it isn't turning?