External slave nv4500 value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
if you had the early one with the lower gear and the bellhousing that you have on this on this one I would sell my soul for it

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sadly, it appears this transmission wasn't original in the truck it was removed from. 95 6.5 4x4, yet it has aluminum bellhousing. We suspicion input shaft bearing has given up on life, so some disassembly will occur for proper inspection.
Is there a way to identify the transmission, such as casting numbers or something that would clue me in on it's actual identity?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
This website has some info on ID tags on NV4500s. Otherwise if those tags are missing you can shift it into 1st and count how many rotations the input shaft takes to rotate the output 1 turn. If its just over 5 1/2 (5.61) then its a 95, if its just under 6 1/2 (6.34) then its a 94 or prior.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1991-1993 had the non-synchronized low and reverse.
1994 apparently had synchronized low and reverse. (which is news to me)
The NV4500 always had a synchronized 1st from the start. It has a weighted synchro setup that makes it almost impossible to downshift to 1 but it’s still synchronized. I’m not sure about synchronized reverse, I think the dodge version had it and was added at some point by GM

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have many regrets in life. Joining this forum is NOT one of them! Guys, thank you for the help! All of ya!

I've been on car forums since they were just becoming a thing and this one has by far the most respectful, helpful and knowledgeable people than any of the others that I have been on.

Thats what keeps the good ones on and when newbs do have an attitude, pretty much all of the regulars make sure they dont want to come back, lol. We have great moderators but they rarely have to step in unless an undesirable newb keeps coming back and poking the bears, haha.

Glad to have you hooked and hope you stay on to share your experience's :cool: