EXT cab on reg cab frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have searched a couple different forums and have found some people have dona this but none in the obs on a reg cab long bed frame and I'm going to be doing a sas to my truck and figure while its down during winter this is the time to do it. I know i will have body mount problems and will have to bob the front of my bed. What I want to know is: how hard is it? does the cab have to be modified for the where the frame rises for the bed? And has anyone done it and have pictures?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Not sure this is possible, the frames are built different. Why not start with a extedned cab?

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main reason that I was thinking of doing this is because I want to keep the same wheel base. I wheel my truck when i can and the extra wheel base can make it real hard on the trails for with turning radius. I think I can do it and just notch the floor and build it up around the frame under the rear seat. Just would like to know if any one else has done it

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The main reason that I was thinking of doing this is because I want to keep the same wheel base. I wheel my truck when i can and the extra wheel base can make it real hard on the trails for with turning radius. I think I can do it and just notch the floor and build it up around the frame under the rear seat. Just would like to know if any one else has done it
I've never seen it done and honestly how much shorter is your wheelbase?

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the regular cab long bed frame and the extended cab short bed frame are pretty close to the same length. I'm not sure on the physical wheel base but I'd think they are close.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Why not lengthen the frame under the cab and shorten under the bed and do it right? Or just leave it as is or even just cut the frame down under the bed and make it an rcsb

98_k1500

Reaction score
They are not exact, but they are close... I could see doing this to a short bed to make a really short bed and keep the wheelbase, but i think the difference between the ext cab short bed and single cab long bed are very small. This bein said, im sure it could be done, just not sure how much work would be involved in making it fit. May could run a body lift on the front of the cab and on the bed and bolt the rear of the cab straight to the frame.

98_k1500

Reaction score
May could run a body lift on the front of the cab and on the bed and bolt the rear of the cab straight to the frame.

I say this because i have a 1 ton van frame that has a pickup body and flat bed on it that is done this way. Works very nicely to line everything up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blue93swb