Exhaust flange bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have read that some of these trucks have dual cats and some do not. Mine has the dual cats one before the flange I was talking about earlier and one is after the flange. Then there are two pipes down to one. After this there is nothing because the previous owner was going to replace everything.

So, I cut the 3 bolts off of this flange, which was not an easy task because there is one bolt that is pretty much up in the frame :).

Anyway now I have more questions. I want to replace the cats, they look rough. Instead of buying the pipes that attach to the downpipes from the manifold that include the cats. Like the the one in the pic. Can I buy just pipes that attach to the downpipes (am I using the correct terminology here?) then buy two tubular shaped cats and connect them with clamps . Then add the muffler and tailpipes? I'd have to figure out a way to get the o2 sensors on there somewhere. Is there such pipes I could buy like this that don't have the cats built into them?

The reason I ask this is because the previous owner left 2inch( I think they were 2 inch) pipes and a dual in, dual out muffler and all the pipes including tailpipes in the bed of the truck. They looked like they would connect at the flange I cut the bolts off of.

Problem is the flange on the pipes the previous owner left is smaller and does not line up with the factory flange the bolts were cut off of. Even if they did line up the pipes the previous owner left does not have the second cat built into like the factory one.

I hope I am making sense. I am at work but I can take some pics when I get home. Just trying to figure out the best approach.

Engine is a 5.7 stock at the moment.

You must be registered for see images attach
Your options are (most likely) extraordinarily limited by the fact that you are in NY. I imagine on inspection if they see ANY of this custom ****, even if you have cats, you're gonna fail.

Schurkey is right about the feds wanting them in factory locations, like 45/50 states either don't inspect or don't care that much as long as you have the cats (and you're probably not gonna get stopped by a federal agent unless you really ****** up anyway), but I've heard NY is a real stickler on that stuff.

Get it inspected on late on a Friday if you go the custom route LOL.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quip jb
Your options are (most likely) extraordinarily limited by the fact that you are in NY. I imagine on inspection if they see ANY of this custom ****, even if you have cats, you're gonna fail.

Schurkey is right about the feds wanting them in factory locations, like 45/50 states either don't inspect or don't care that much as long as you have the cats (and you're probably not gonna get stopped by a federal agent unless you really ****** up anyway), but I've heard NY is a real stickler on that stuff.

Get it inspected on late on a Friday if you go the custom route LOL.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've only been in NY for 3 years and my other vehicle is brand new so didn't have to deal with any issues with it. So sounds like if your in NY you and if your exhaust system goes bad you have to replace it with the exact same type of parts.?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've only been in NY for 3 years and my other vehicle is brand new so didn't have to deal with any issues with it. So sounds like if your in NY you and if your exhaust system goes bad you have to replace it with the exact same type of parts.?
I'm not from NY, but I've heard lots of horror stories on this forum and elsewhere about their inspections.

Technically, to the letter of the federal law, you can fail just about any vehicle that's ever been modified/repaired with non-oem parts if you try hard enough.

Most states are more lenient, but it seems NY and CA (among others) just want to enforce it overzealously so they can get all the old **** off the road.

Gotta prepare for the electric car revolution that's supposedly like 5 years away right!

Sorta like how everyone does 1-5mph over the limit, but NY is just the stickler cop that will actually pull you over and ticket your ass for it LOL.

bigshane

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a downpipe or maybe it's called a crossover pipe, the one that comes from the drivers side, i could buy that does not include the cat. Im hoping I could buy the driver side and passenger side downpipe and two converters and be able to bolt it all together. Not sure if it would be any less expensive than just buying the one I posted in the pic in my previous post though.

Maybe?
View media item 32754https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...+pipe&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not from NY, but I've heard lots of horror stories on this forum and elsewhere about their inspections.

Technically, to the letter of the federal law, you can fail just about any vehicle that's ever been modified/repaired with non-oem parts if you try hard enough.

Most states are more lenient, but it seems NY and CA (among others) just want to enforce it overzealously so they can get all the old **** off the road.

Gotta prepare for the electric car revolution that's supposedly like 5 years away right!

Sorta like how everyone does 1-5mph over the limit, but NY is just the stickler cop that will actually pull you over and ticket your ass for it LOL.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I get ya. Thanks for the info. After I posted my last reply I read a couple of things on the internet about this stuff and NY. One article says you can modify exhaust in NY and it must not be louder than the original muffler. It must also pass emissions.

The other said the same and it says engine swaps and modifications are legal but again muffler can't be louder than original and it must pass emissions.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have another quick question for you guys. The $179 pipes above that bigshane posted. Where the pipes bolt up to the manifold pipes does anyone know if the studs on the manifold pipes are different sizes on the left and right sides? Can replacement studs be purchased at auto zone advance auto.?