Exhaust Cutout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Ok I was right about the y-pipe, but it's not stock.
So my cats go into a y pipe which goes into the muffler and then into a dual again

So what would be the best way to do this?

Also I think in my state they just check your emissions and make sure there's no check engine codes (I haven't needed to get my truck inspected since getting my license so I'm not really sure)

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I would say put it right before the muffler.
Here all they do on any vehicle after 1995 is plug into the obd2 and check for emissions codes

Sent from my awesome S5

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I do like the sound of open headers though hahah

How logical would it be to reroute the exhaust before the cats into one so that all I'd need is a single cutout..?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
All tha emission sounds like a major pain. But I would think you could call the dot or the produer of the cutout and find out if it's legal in your state before you spend the money.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score

How logical would it be to reroute the exhaust before the cats into one so that all I'd need is a single cutout..?
Probably not worth it for a $200 cutout imo

Sent from my awesome S5

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score

I think this is your easiest cheapest cut in route before cats. and not necessarily exactly where the arrows are.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you wanna go one cut out, do it after the cats.

The Stig

Reaction score
Your best and cheapest bet would be to put it right behind your Y-pipe because if you were to put 2 before the cats without a tune the Check Engine Light would turn on whenever you opened them and would stay on until you clear the codes. Basically if want them before the cats you would need 2 cutouts (about $180 each) and a tune ($300+), so minimum you would spend would be about $700 versus putting after the Y-pipe for just 1 cutout. Also I think there are mechanical cutouts that you just pull on a cable and it opens and I think they're only $40-$60.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
You could slice an X pipe right in the center, and weld a cutout there.

Good idea, probably not something I'd trust myself to do so maybe whenever I get the money I'll talk to someone who could do it professionally and see what they think of doing that

I think this is your easiest cheapest cut in route before cats. and not necessarily exactly where the arrows are.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you wanna go one cut out, do it after the cats.

It'll be pretty expensive if I go before cats, but would sound best... Probably not worth the money if I need to put two cutouts in, would you agree?

Your best and cheapest bet would be to put it right behind your Y-pipe because if you were to put 2 before the cats without a tune the Check Engine Light would turn on whenever you opened them and would stay on until you clear the codes. Basically if want them before the cats you would need 2 cutouts (about $180 each) and a tune ($300+), so minimum you would spend would be about $700 versus putting after the Y-pipe for just 1 cutout. Also I think there are mechanical cutouts that you just pull on a cable and it opens and I think they're only $40-$60.

I liked the convenience of opening them up at the flick of a switch then closing them before a cop could blame me for it, but doing it manually certainly would be the cheapest option. Good point about the codes, I don't feel like paying all that for a tune.