Exhaust Cutout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a moron somewhere in this post, I do have a few questions that someone with experience with these may have a better answer to than what I can figure.

I have a flowmaster cat-back dual exhaust and want something really loud at the flick of a switch - so an electric cutout was a thought.

My exhaust is stock before the cats, so I was trying to figure the easiest way to put the cutout in before the cats. Any suggestions?

It seems easiest to put the cutout in between the cats and the muffler, but how much sound should I expect to lose putting the cutout after the cat?

I'm assuming I should have no emissions problems if the cutout is closed no matter where I put it?

Edit: I was thinking - I know I'll pay dearly if I bought the dual cutouts to accommodate putting it before the cats easily, but would it be cheaper to reroute the exhaust into a Y-pipe and then install a single cutout or to just buy the dual cutouts (single cutout is about $200 and dual is around $400)

Last edited:

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
your gonna want to put the cut outs after the cats, you put the cutouts before, your gonna bypass 02 sensors, thats not gonna do you any favors.

its still gonna be pretty friggin loud after the cats.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Do it after the cats, it'll be easier and still as loud

Sent from my awesome S5

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Come on guys.. Its gotta be before the cats. It does need to go after the first set of o2 sensors tho.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
If I were to put it before the cats, would it be cheaper to redo the exhaust so that I can fit it with one cutout or would 2 cutouts be better?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
If I were to put it before the cats, would it be cheaper to redo the exhaust so that I can fit it with one cutout or would 2 cutouts be better?

I'm sensing a tight budget here, so after the cats, you got 2 pipes heading to the muffler right?

use 2 cutouts. you can add on later by deleting cats, if your into doing that on a daily driver. although with all the fun stories of jersey ive heard, im sure you cant delete them.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'm sensing a tight budget here, so after the cats, you got 2 pipes heading to the muffler right?

use 2 cutouts. you can add on later by deleting cats, if your into doing that on a daily driver. although with all the fun stories of jersey ive heard, im sure you cant delete them.

I'll have no chance of deleting cats in New Jersey, you are correct. And it is a daily driver

You're also correct again, it's a fairly tight budget and I'm looking for a pretty easy way to do this.

If I'm not mistaken, after the cats the two pipes go into a y pipe (which should be stock) then into my flowmaster muffler, and then after the muffler it splits into a dual again

So all this added up has left me not sure what to do

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I'll have no chance of deleting cats in New Jersey, you are correct. And it is a daily driver

You're also correct again, it's a fairly tight budget and I'm looking for a pretty easy way to do this.

If I'm not mistaken, after the cats the two pipes go into a y pipe (which should be stock) then into my flowmaster muffler, and then after the muffler it splits into a dual again

tight budget for electric cutouts dont really go in the same sentence they arent at all cheap last time i checked.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score

you might wanna crawl under your truck and take a look, I have a 97 and it doesen't Y into 1 pipe after the cats.