Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd agree with the others here. A crate engine will be your best bet to swap in and go for it's sheer simplicity. Just be sure to look over your cooling system and flush your heater core, power steering pump and clean up the engine bay a bit before installing the crate engine. You can install the GM hot cam in the L31 350 SBC if you go that crate engine route, but you'll need the crane cams 747-16 valve spring retainers and keepers so that it will clear the vortec head valve guides. You can run that cam as it's a roller cam if your crate motor is a roller block but be sure to understand that if you run the stock MPFI injectors and black box PCM you WILL need a tune to get the truck to run well not to include a newer style Delphi MPFI upgrade. Black Bear performance can send you some materials to test drive your truck on so they can capture a data log on what the truck will need to get it running as good as possible. You then send them your black PCM, they upload the file and you're set for about $500 (prices may vary). If you choose to run a bigger cam in the end but not run a gm hot cam just be sure when you buy your crate engine that the crate engine will have heads that can run the size cam in lift that you're interested in and that you choose a cam that will match the blocks needs (hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller cam). If you don't know what you're looking for will all the cam shaft and block lingo just call the manufacturer of the engine you're interested in and let them know what you drive, HP goals, the transmission you'll run, axel gear ratios, tire size and current engine (350 SBC L31). They can recommend a engine with that info and give you a price range on a direct swap or it's carbureted variant. I would expect to use up all of your $6k though with either endeavor.

I would also consider an LS swap over all other options as I've done a few in the GMT400 platforms and it's hand down my biggest bang for the buck and fuel mileage build for my customers. 350 HP with 24 MPG highway 16 city in a 96' C1500 on 22'' wheels. Truck is running these numbers with a rebuilt 03' LM7 5.3L, LS1 cam, 4l60e with a corvette servo shift kit and 3.73 gears. I know I'm on here always preaching the LS swap game but the aftermarket and big power lane is easy with the LS platform. Regardless, as many will say if you want to tow or keep torque numbers in the 1800-4500 rpm range, keep with the 350 SBC to get the truck the OOMF it needs to get moving quickly. Just my 2 cents on the conversation so far.
Definitely appreciate your 2 cents! Very great information to lead me in the right direction. I’m currently looking to find a crate motor that comes with heads that will handle the hot cam. Without having to change springs/retainers and all that. Also I kinda figured that doing all of this, I would have to send off my PCM to be tuned.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
I'd agree with the others here. A crate engine will be your best bet to swap in and go for it's sheer simplicity. Just be sure to look over your cooling system and flush your heater core, power steering pump and clean up the engine bay a bit before installing the crate engine. You can install the GM hot cam in the L31 350 SBC if you go that crate engine route, but you'll need the crane cams 747-16 valve spring retainers and keepers so that it will clear the vortec head valve guides. You can run that cam as it's a roller cam if your crate motor is a roller block but be sure to understand that if you run the stock MPFI injectors and black box PCM you WILL need a tune to get the truck to run well not to include a newer style Delphi MPFI upgrade. Black Bear performance can send you some materials to test drive your truck on so they can capture a data log on what the truck will need to get it running as good as possible. You then send them your black PCM, they upload the file and you're set for about $500 (prices may vary). If you choose to run a bigger cam in the end but not run a gm hot cam just be sure when you buy your crate engine that the crate engine will have heads that can run the size cam in lift that you're interested in and that you choose a cam that will match the blocks needs (hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller cam). If you don't know what you're looking for will all the cam shaft and block lingo just call the manufacturer of the engine you're interested in and let them know what you drive, HP goals, the transmission you'll run, axel gear ratios, tire size and current engine (350 SBC L31). They can recommend a engine with that info and give you a price range on a direct swap or it's carbureted variant. I would expect to use up all of your $6k though with either endeavor.

I would also consider an LS swap over all other options as I've done a few in the GMT400 platforms and it's hand down my biggest bang for the buck and fuel mileage build for my customers. 350 HP with 24 MPG highway 16 city in a 96' C1500 on 22'' wheels. Truck is running these numbers with a rebuilt 03' LM7 5.3L, LS1 cam, 4l60e with a corvette servo shift kit and 3.73 gears. I know I'm on here always preaching the LS swap game but the aftermarket and big power lane is easy with the LS platform. Regardless, as many will say if you want to tow or keep torque numbers in the 1800-4500 rpm range, keep with the 350 SBC to get the truck the OOMF it needs to get moving quickly. Just my 2 cents on the conversation so far.
also have a brand new power steering pump and alternator ready to throw on and will definitely flush the heater core.

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
Just picked up a very clean 98 gmc z71 with vortec 5.7 for dirt cheap. Motor has some issues so I’m looking to do a motor swap. I do daily drive a 97 Chevy k1500 so I’m pretty familiar with these trucks. I’d like to get this one pretty souped up but nothing too crazy. Looking for ideas on engines. Kinda thinking another 350 cammed and upgraded fuel injection. Open to ideas on LS swap or 383. Just not sure about extra work for the different motor. Any input here would be greatly appreciated!
I went with this https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420885.html in my 1999 2 door Tahoe.
It dropped right in without any modifications. Just add a tune.
I liked that it was new and had a GM warranty.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Devon 11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple dollars with that last one and you’re well over what most people on this site are running:)

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

This should get you where you need to go

This should get you where you need to go.
I’ll have to chop an arm and a leg off for that. Lol