Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Lafayette. What part of South Louisiana are you from. I had my 4L60E remanufactured at A-Able trans the Evangeline thruway. It was a little pricey at $2800, but it has a 2 year warranty. They did a HD master rebuild kit, and Corvette survos. At first, they turned up the line pressure to much. I ended up braking the final output shaft. This messed up the sunshell and planitery gears, and braking the transmission case. This was about 3 months after the rebuild. I took it back, and they rebuild it again. This time they replaced the line pressure regulator with a new OE one. This was about 6 or 8 months ago. It's been all good since. My 97 has been tuned, has shorty headers, free flowing exhaust, and is about 325 HP. Also about a week and a half before the trans blew the first time, the rear end went out. I replaced the OE 342s with 373 gears, and an Eaton trutrack. I almost never pull anything, but I do have a lead foot, and I run the hell out of the old truck. Point is, a 4L60E will never be what a 4L80E is, but the 60E can be built to hold a decent amount of power. I told the trans shop to make it hold 500 HP. They said that 500 HP would be about the Max you would want to put through the trans.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Lafayette. What part of South Louisiana are you from. I had my 4L60E remanufactured at A-Able trans the Evangeline thruway. It was a little pricey at $2800, but it has a 2 year warranty. They did a HD master rebuild kit, and Corvette survos. At first, they turned up the line pressure to much. I ended up braking the final output shaft. This messed up the sunshell and planitery gears, and braking the transmission case. This was about 3 months after the rebuild. I took it back, and they rebuild it again. This time they replaced the line pressure regulator with a new OE one. This was about 6 or 8 months ago. It's been all good since. My 97 has been tuned, has shorty headers, free flowing exhaust, and is about 325 HP. Also about a week and a half before the trans blew the first time, the rear end went out. I replaced the OE 342s with 373 gears, and an Eaton trutrack. I almost never pull anything, but I do have a lead foot, and I run the hell out of the old truck. Point is, a 4L60E will never be what a 4L80E is, but the 60E can be built to hold a decent amount of power. I told the trans shop to make it hold 500 HP. They said that 500 HP would be about the Max you would want to put through the trans.
Oh nice. I’m in Lake Arthur just south of jennings so about an hour from you! I’m wanting to do this swap without sending it to a shop so I’m looking on guidance to make it as simple as possible. Any opinions on what motor to order and tips and tricks are greatly appreciated. Just trying to read and learn as much as possible before starting.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh nice. I’m in Lake Arthur just south of jennings so about an hour from you! I’m wanting to do this swap without sending it to a shop so I’m looking on guidance to make it as simple as possible. Any opinions on what motor to order and tips and tricks are greatly appreciated. Just trying to read and learn as much as possible before starting.
I know where Lake Arthur is. I have been there. My wife had some cousins that lived there I think. None that we were close to though. Grate your doing your research. At the age of these trucks, a used trans is never a good idea. They are at the age where the usefulness has been used up, for the most part. My wife bitched about me having mine rebuilt. She said, * could have gotten one from Orlieys, but then that would have been built to OE specs. I wanted something stronger than that. A 4L80E may be a good option for you. If you head in this direction, you should try to make one of our Cruse in car shows. FB lafayettelouisianacarcrewsnews. All the Cruse ins, show up there.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
my dad abused my gmt 400 for like 2 years with 2000 pounds almost always on the bed somehow and its a c1500 from 96. it has a cooler tho. only died when he started shifting it with a rigged shifter because the shifter cable broke... he probably wasnt in the detents properly of the gears....
My dad's truck had a factory aux trans cooler too. Mine didn't have one from factory, but a parts truck I had a while back did so I transferred it over when I rebuilt my 4l60e.

When I swap back to a 350 (running a little 305 rn bleh) I want to give the trans a few more goodies; -AN cooler lines and a beefier cooler are among them

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score