Engine swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DillPickle478

Reaction score
In Texas you have to have a document called the "Writ Of Heirship" for any property transfer. We're going through this on our trucks, and the Texas DMV office went to appointments only during COVID and has stayed that way.
Most states probably have something similar; a quick Google search should give you some information on what your state requirements are.
I'm in louisiana, and I think we have something similar, just under a different name.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're really better off finding a way to legally acquire the '98 and running it as-is, unless it's a rusted out basket case that happens to have a good drivetrain. It's possible, 90% of things should bolt up, but disassembling two trucks and building one takes a substantial amount of time that you could spend restoring the '98 instead.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can take the wiring from the 98 engine/trans and make it stand alone. Then it’s no different than a Gen 3,4,5 (what most call an LS series) swap. Then wire up your cluster, etc from the original truck.
That is the way we swapped them when the 96-up “Vortec” was new

Another

Reaction score
Swap the engine/ transmission exhaust, wiring harness, inner fenders as all this is the easy part. Then you have to make the decision on just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.... you can do a stand alone so you don't have to repin a lot of wires at the convince center(fuse block at fire wall) or dive in and learn the wiring of the trucks and repin and mate everything so it looks and acts factory. To deep dive into the wiring isn't so hard but it is time consuming.

DillPickle478

Reaction score
You're really better off finding a way to legally acquire the '98 and running it as-is, unless it's a rusted out basket case that happens to have a good drivetrain. It's possible, 90% of things should bolt up, but disassembling two trucks and building one takes a substantial amount of time that you could spend restoring the '98 instead.
I'd have to say the 92 is way worse off than the 98 because the 98 has relatively zero rust and the 92 has a rusty roof. The whole reason I really want to keep the 5.7 is because it's what I really "cut my teeth" learning how to work on engines with my dad and it holds a lot of sentimental value. It came out of his 98 Yukon that my mother wrecked my senior year in high school and we threw in the silverado.

DillPickle478

Reaction score
You can take the wiring from the 98 engine/trans and make it stand alone. Then it’s no different than a Gen 3,4,5 (what most call an LS series) swap. Then wire up your cluster, etc from the original truck.
That is the way we swapped them when the 96-up “Vortec” was new
I might just try and get the 98 legal in my name and take the 92 and either LQ4 swap it or find a carbed small block and throw it in. A friend of mine swapped his and said it was a "weekend job"

k20chevy

Reaction score
He had no living will or anything of the sort. He took the, uh, short way out. The trucks the only thing left I have of him. Him and my mother were still legally married at his time of death and I do have the title for the truck somewhere in my room. I'm just making things way more complicated on myself but I've got a habit of doing that to myself.
Hey, look int othe Vermont registration.... They do out of state just like South Dakota. I live in Missouri and register all my vehicles in South Dakota as an "Out of State" registration. For Vermont you just need a clean VIN and a bill of sale not even notarized. Then once you get a clean registration you can take that to your home states DMV and get a clean title. It's super easy!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vermont closed their loophole a couple months ago. Supposedly West Virginia is going to start doing out-of-state titles, but I haven't heard anything solid on that yet.