Engine idea replacement help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some help finding the best salution to my problem.. See my local junk yard is running a special the next few days on engines any engine out the yard for 300 bucks.. mind you I live in California so keep this in mind when you're suggestions. Well I have a 98 chevy with the 4.3v6 and thr s speed manual transmission.. Well the engine too small abously but the big part is the 5 speed transmission. The gearing in it is way to low in 1st its just not good gearing... So my question is what engine and manual transmission will be a easy swap into my vehicle.. Fist what engine be a easy swap without having to do to much computer stuff id really like steer away from anything that has, and then from those engines what it would be the best transmission or easy that would bolt up to any Chevy engine that I might be swapping and Please I can really use some help There's just so many ideas and stuff out there and I'm just getting lost in information I just really need a quick and simple easy swap with something that can upgrade and Power in a better transmission

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. So to start. This is your 11th..... thread in the last week? I understand that you want to do all these things, but it takes a lot of money and time. Also, if you’ve done any sort of researching you could see that the 5.7 and 5.0 V8 Vortec is almost a direct swap. Another thing is you need to be completely clear in what you are asking, don’t ramble on. I would just sell this truck and get a V8 Automatic from everything you’ve said.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no inexpensive solution to your idea. Your in California. What is your plan to comply with CAL Emissions regulations. Your truck is certified with a 4.3 V6, swapping it out for a V8 involves bringing it into compliance for a V8 of that model year. Thats based on a waiver which can be declined. You might want to check with a Emissions Testing Referee, to get the exact regulation ruling as Cal EPA keeps moving the bar, finish line (?) for following the regulation.
Just another reason poeple are leaving California.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your trans has a " granny low 1st gear". For starting out with heavy load. Use 2nd for normal no heavy load driving. Or get the other manual 5 speed without granny low. Less of a problem than coverting to Automatic. Hope this offers some solutions. Good luck.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your trans has a " granny low 1st gear". For starting out with heavy load. Use 2nd for normal no heavy load driving. Or get the other manual 5 speed without granny low. Less of a problem than coverting to Automatic. Hope this offers some solutions. Good luck.
I didn’t know they made the NV3500 with a granny low. Unless it’s the NV4500???

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was only referring to his statement why 1st is so low. I didn't check on the gear ratios, not positive on his installed trans. Now you got me wondering? Hmm.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know they made the NV3500 with a granny low. Unless it’s the NV4500???

They had granny low in the 4x4, non-granny in the 2x4.

- M50 (NV3500 manual transmission, wide ratio, 4x4 applications)
- MG5 (NV3500 manual transmission, close ratio, 2x4 applications)

OP claims to have a "C" truck but perhaps it has a "K" truck transmission (or an NV4500) from some earlier mischief.

Gear ratios are given, here:

See my post in the OP's earlier thread (which he created but never followed-up), here, where I tried to get him to report on his rear axle RPO (but no reply):

Last edited:

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They had granny low in the 4x4, non-granny in the 2x4.

- M50 (NV3500 manual transmission, wide ratio, 4x4 applications)
- MG5 (NV3500 manual transmission, close ratio, 2x4 applications)

OP claims to have a "C" truck but perhaps it has a "K" truck transmission (or an NV4500) from some earlier mischief.
That is good to know. Thanks for sharing.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated, there is no easy or cheap way to accomplish your goal, that's not gonna change no matter how many times or ways you ask the question.
Save some money up, sell your V6 truck, buy a V8 truck. Or, learn to live with the truck you have. I had an 02 and an 04 4.3 2wd extended cab, they're great trucks for what they are, but if you're not satisfied with what it is, get a different one. Way less hassle and stress than trying to make something be what it isn't.
Same applies to friends, partners, jobs, just about anything.