Gaer ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes i got a 98 chevy c1500 with the 4.3 and 5speed manual transmission. And want to upgrade the gaer ratio and i dont know much about vehicles but seals that 1st is way way to low now that because of my transition or the rear end gear reatio. I mean 1st so low I can't even start in fist its so low any suggestions to get beter gearing.. And does that mean replacing transmission or rear end gear and what ratio the best for performance and mileage

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean 1st so low I can't even start in fist its so low any suggestions to get beter gearing.. And does that mean replacing transmission or rear end gear and what ratio the best for performance and mileage

What's your RPM at 70MPH in top gear, now? And I mean "70MPH actual", radar-gun / GPS measured speed, not "Well, I put these really big tires on and when the speedo reads 70 I have no idea but it's faster" :)

Do you carry a load routinely (a camper in the bed or a trailer)? Elaborate on this or other factors which might affect the wind drag or vehicle weight.

Is the transmission original to the vehicle or has it been exchanged / repaired / modified / replaced prior, to your knowledge?

Also, look in the glove box for a GM sticker that lists the production codes... there may be perhaps 60 three letter codes on that sticker. Look for any of these specifically and post them:

- MW3 (NV4500 manual transmission)
- M50 (NV3500 manual transmission, wide ratio, 4x4 applications)
- MG5 (NV3500 manual transmission, close ratio, 2x4 applications)
- GT4 (3.73 final gear)
- GT5 (4.10 final gear)
- GU4 (3.08 final gear)
- GU6 (3.42 final gear)

(see the attached for all the production codes)

Barring any prior changes, your transmission is almost certainly an NV3500 and we'll know more when you give us the production code (M50 or MG5). Reportedly the offered gear ratiosj for the NV3500 transmission are shown here:

I usually select rear end ratios based on top gear engine RPM, taking into account the vehicle and engine, and I suggest you do the same... unless you're trying to do something unusual like pull stumps or set a land speed record. After getting the top gear RPM where it works well, one can entertain making changes to the transmission's gear ratios.

Attachments

• RPO list 1998 GMT400.pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tjclar86