engine id

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Kay

Reaction score
Have searched all over & can't find any info to make sense of my engine id number stamped on the front of the right cyl head.

Reads as follows on 2 lines:

1M0809
3G35

From what I've found it shouldn't start with a 1 & none of it matches the vin

this is a 1993 K5 Blazer with 5.7L engine

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bob K

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Usually the first thing I suspect when casting numbers don't make any sense is that they aren't being read correctly. They do get obscured with crap, and sometimes are remarked.

It does seem likely to not be the original engine, does it have the center bolt valve covers?

Bob Kay

Reaction score
Triple checked the numbers in front of the right head. Trying to get the casting numbers on the back. It ain't easy. Still working at it.
It does have the valve cover bolts down the middle.
Good chance it's not the original engine. The odometer shows 288,000+ miles and looking in the oil filler cap the engine looks clean as a whistle. It definetly drives like a 5.7. I've driven trucks with the 5.0 and they are dogs.
I'm going to pressure wash the back of the engine and crawl in and give it another try at the casting numbers.
Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Triple checked the numbers in front of the right head. Trying to get the casting numbers on the back. It ain't easy. Still working at it.
It does have the valve cover bolts down the middle.
Good chance it's not the original engine. The odometer shows 288,000+ miles and looking in the oil filler cap the engine looks clean as a whistle. It definetly drives like a 5.7. I've driven trucks with the 5.0 and they are dogs.
I'm going to pressure wash the back of the engine and crawl in and give it another try at the casting numbers.
Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

The ones in the rear are the most accurate, and least likely to ever get messed with. I used to use a mirror to see them, but now I just stick my phone back there and shoot a video with the flash on lol.