Electrical gremblin making me Psycho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a challenge for anyone willing to try! Lol jk, but i prob will do whatever you guys suggest, as i have with every other one of my posts Okay guys as some of you may know my truck is giving me problems. Its a 1993 305 (5.0l) 4l60e scsb c1500
I bought the truck a year ago and a week ago.

The truck has always jumped when i first put it in drive unless it is fully up to temp (like i stopped it quickly while doing something after driving for a few minutes)

The truck has always shifted real hard on the 1-2 shift. I know it had a completely stock tranny never rebuilt when i bought the truck. Has done it since the test drive. Lucas transmission fluid has helped some- but its minute. (blew up the tranny over the summer and had a shift kit installed for towing).
The truck has gone into limp mode twice on me- i pull the computer behind the dash- let it sit a minute and plug back in. All good (the second time itit went into limp mode i didnt have the computer secured down and thought it was from bumping/vibrating around. Since then i put it back correctly and havent had an issue - been about 3500 miles.

Now i got a tach for christmas- ive noticed that the truck has real low shift points. At wot she shifts around 2800rpm- under light throttle she waits until 2100 even if i keep the throttle the same for miles. It feels like a diesel when she shifts before 3000rpm - as some may know from my previous post a 4 cylinder kia sould was able to smoke me from 0-60- i would hope revving out the gears would make it atleast feel quicker under wot

She doesnt kickdown. I thought it was due to a missing kickdown cable- but aparently 4l60e's dont use em. This is one of my biggest concerns.

She has had a basic tuneup (cap, wires/plugs, all fluids) recently. She gets regular oil changes and fed 89 octane.
New tps, new sensor at back left base of tb (i dont remeber what its called- did it a year ago). I have a feeling i need a new o2 sensor, so once this snow clears thats one of the first things im doing.

Do u think a chip would help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No a chip will not help a stock truck that is having issues like that..... A chip is not a fix all item..

That being said.... Is your check engine light on?

As far as jumping, what do you mean. It actually goes forward or just makes a clank type of noise? If it's a noise have someone you trust put it in gear while holding the brakes as you look underneath at the transmission. Does it jump up or does the driveshaft rotate at all? Transmission mount or ujoints may be toast. Rear gears could have a lot of play in them..

So you blew up the tranny over the summer? Who rebuilt it? Is there a warranty? If so have you had them look at it? Could be a bad solenoid in the trans.

Could have a bad VSS. Plug, the main one on the trans, on the side could be leaking and shorting stuff out.

A lot of things it could be that a chip just will NOT fix.... You need to diagnose your issues...

Sent from what use to be a great country.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
13 22 and 32 it throws causing a check engine light- been there since i bought the truck.

The driveshaft trys to spin- does a verry little as the truck rocks foward about an inch when put in gear- almost feels like neutral dropping but not being on the power. As far as transmission shop- they simply rebuilt the tranmission, put a new tc, new mount, and new crossmember. And all of those seem to be working fine. The guy said i have a computer issues, as the tranmission is doing as its told, and hes a local shop i trust having gone to them with th350s, th400s, and muncies.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Code 22 involves the tps.. That can cause a lot of it right there. I would test and adjust that first thing.

32 is egr issue.

13 is O2 related.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Code 22 involves the tps.. That can cause a lot of it right there. I would test and adjust that first thing.

32 is egr issue.

13 is O2 related.

I have a new tps- it should be adjusted properly but ill read up on how to tune it.

Ill replace o2 sensor

Ill look into trouble shooting the egr

Thanks man

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no problem..

A thought about the O2... If you have any exhaust leaks near it it can and usually reads wrong also. Just another thing to look at...lol

The tps.. If it isn't adjustable "enough" to get it down to about .5 volts you can make it adjustable kinda.. I just had to do that on my 94. Let us know what the readings are when you check it. You will need a volt meter of some sort to do it... A chiton book tells the procedure pretty good.