Electric brake control install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has the factory tow package but I have a big job coming up on my house and a friend has offered me the use of his heavy duty trailer with a dump box. It has electric brakes on it and I just have the regular harness that came on my truck. Is it a big deal to install an electric brake controller?
Do I need to run a whole new harness? I would only need to use it once in a while. Could I just buy a $50. controller? I see some cost hundreds, but I'm assuming they are for people who are towing trailers all the time.
Thanks for your input.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
The progressive TBC I feel give more adjustability for how the trailer is loaded.

As long as it is a reputable brand and does work, it will be fine. But the ride comfort might be compromised.

As far as harness' are concerned, you most likely have the flat four, which does not support trailer brakes. Find out the connection the trailer has, usually round or flat five, six or seven. Round Seven is most common on newer trucks. Find a flat four to seven conversation with the additional inputs.
http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30717.html

And yes, it is a big deal. With no trailer brakes the entire load is stopped by the truck brakes, which are marginal at best unloaded. Add several thousand pounds of trailer with the possibility of sway, and it becomes a huge deal.

DuallyDave

Reaction score
Depending on the year of your truck, you might already have the the brake wire. It will be blue and looped in the back harness and then again on the firewall. The is if it had the factory tow package. Just run a power with a breaker or fuse, and ground to the inside for the controller. The one wire from the controller will go to your brake switch to activate the controller. And finally a blue wire back out the firewall. Even if you don't have the factory tow harness, just run the blue wire to the rear. Make sure you have a good ground from the truck plug to the truck frame and then from the trailer plug to the frame. Don't depend on your hitch as the ground.... simple...