Egr delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 94 5.7 and was wondering if I delete the EGR valve and charcoal canister.
Will I need to get a different chip ? Or will it run with the stock one.
Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It will run, but it's recommended to disable EGR in the tune to avoid increased engine wear and worse mileage. Plus you'll have a check engine light on if you don't. No idea about removing the charcoal canister/EVAP system in general functionally but I'm sure that will throw a CEL as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Avoid engine wear?? Please enlighten me on this....

It's my understanding that removing the EGR without disabling it in the tune will cause the PCM to modify the spark tables unnecessarily at times which can cause pinging at part throttle. Not enough to be noticeable, but enough that it would show up on a live data scan tool.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read about people doing the EGR delete as intake manifolds will tend to gum up because of them.. I didn't know the PCM would alter anything...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've read about people doing the EGR delete as intake manifolds will tend to gum up because of them.. I didn't know the PCM would alter anything...

The PCM adds spark timing when the EGR is supposed to be active. Here's a couple of threads with some more info on the subject including some snapshots of the EGR parameters of a 98+ PCM as seen through HPTuners.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/egr-delete-chip.36486/

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/egr-delete-will-i-benefit.39607/

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have EGR delete and added Hiway Lean Cruise on my 88. In my AMUS bin file with mask $42-1227747-V5.9.3 it has "patches" (the left 2)already in there. You also need to disable 1 pass EGR scan and the Malf 32 (on the right). I wouldn't delete the CCP unless you want to smell gas all the time. People claim you'll get 10-15% increase in MPG with HLC. IMO any time you introduce exhaust gasses back into the engine, you'll have adverse effects such as, carbon buildup in the intake etc.

You must be registered for see images attach