EGR Delete - Will I benefit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Almost all TBIs I have messed with watch for a rise in intake MAP to determine if the EGR is active, not 02 voltage.
I could be remembering wrong, but my currently vague recollection of the details would've come from the factory manual pages on a code 32. Will have to look it up one of these days if I ever un-bury those manuals, which I probably will for this hot mess '93 in the driveway.

Richard

RhettR7707

Reaction score
In order to bypass the egr valve on a 95 k1500 tbi, could I simply unplug the egr purge valve wire harness and plug the hoses? It does make a difference, but I'm not sure if the egr valve is open or closed by default, without any instructions from the ecu. Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In order to bypass the egr valve
WHY would you want to?

on a 95 k1500 tbi, could I simply unplug the egr purge valve wire harness and plug the hoses?
Yes, until you break a piston from detonation.

It does make a difference,
Yes, it does.

I'm not sure if the egr valve is open or closed by default, without any instructions from the ecu.
Closed. Has to be commanded open.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have run TBIs without EGR, never had a detonation issue. Was largely indifferent to it. That was on a carb to TBI swap.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have run TBIs without EGR, never had a detonation issue. Was largely indifferent to it. That was on a carb to TBI swap.

I did the same without a tune, but not for very long. I know the ECM knows whether or not the EGR is functioning (looks for a change of MAP when commanded open), so one would think it wouldn't advance the timing in anticipation of a diluted charge that won't be there. But that's just an ASSumption.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why you run Hiwy Lean Cruise - you get leaner AFRs and advanced timing, to help burn the leaner fuel mixture, AND zero detonation. If you're gonna do it, do it right ;)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually do just that. Haven't really seen a diff in economy though.
I have a feeling that may be due to your elevation. While I was in the high plains of Texas, New Mexico and running from Denver to Pagosa Springs my 2011 Pathfinder saw fuel mileage it never see's down here. I had a couple tanks go nearly 430 miles where it usually only sees 350-370 at most here. Less air at elevation so already seeing less pumping loss.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a feeling that may be due to your elevation. While I was in the high plains of Texas, New Mexico and running from Denver to Pagosa Springs my 2011 Pathfinder saw fuel mileage it never see's down here. I had a couple tanks go nearly 430 miles where it usually only sees 350-370 at most here. Less air at elevation so already seeing less pumping loss.

Don't forget less air for a box on wheels to cut through too. I25 from Colorado Springs to Denver and back is also a magical stretch of road. I averaged 31mpg there and back once in the Z06. Everything I drive there and back gets weirdly good mpgs.