P1406 EGR Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChRoNo16

Reaction score
SO lets start off with some important basic info- 1997 5.7 4x4 ECSB, owner brought it to my work to "junk" it, with 157,*** miles on it. I paid him 100 bucks and took home my birthday present! (Yes, he came in on my birthday last year to get rid of it)

Anyways, truck runs and drives fantastic even tho it basically just sat in a yard for over a decade.

Now I am getting the P1406 EGR code turning my CEL on. My plan is to remove and clean it and see if that fixes it, at the same time replacing the gasket or gaskets for it, and checking any lines running to it for breaks or mouse chews.

My 2 questions are simple, Am I ok to use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to clean it? and as far as gaskets I see ones with a screen and ones without- Should I go one way or the other?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P1406 is for the EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit.

"Electric" EGR valve, not vacuum. Could be an EGR valve, wire-harness, or even a computer fault. Ideally, you'd use a scan tool to monitor the actual EGR pintle position as you command the valve to move. Compare commanded position to the actual position.

If there's instructions to "clean" the EGR valve in the P1406 diagnostics, I didn't see it. I also can't help with the gasket needed.