Edelbrock electric choke wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velocity502

Reaction score
Quick question. I got a 5.7 vortec that I put an edelbrock 1406 on and swapped it into my 88 silverado. For the most part the truck is done, all that's left is wiring up the electric choke. I know that it really only needs 12v when the key is turned on and to NOT wire it to the coil, but I'm curious as to what is the most preferred place to wire it to

Matt98

Reaction score
Theres a junction block under the dash on the driver's side, one empty terminal there labeled IGN for key on power, I assume its for accessories. Use a spade connector to tap into that and put a 5A fuse and run it to your choke.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally, you'd have a power source that is dead with the key in "Accessory", "Locked" "Off", and "Crank". Hot or live only with the key in "Run". The choke does not need to heat when you're cranking the engine, or if the ignition is not powered.

THEN you'd route power through the two terminals of a normally-open oil pressure switch. That way the choke doesn't continue to heat if the engine stalls while you're in the house getting another cuppa coffee. There are three-terminal oil pressure switches where one terminal drives the light on the dash, the other two are the pass-through for an electric choke or electric fuel pump. Either one should be shut off if the engine has no oil pressure.

Fuse it as appropriate.