Edelbrock ETec Head Spark Plug Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supspt454

Reaction score
Quick question about what spark plugs to run with Edelbrock Etec 170 heads on a Vortec 383 OEM ignition system. The heads call for a 14mm 3/4" reach 5/8" hex washer plug. I know the factory plug specs on the Vortec are a .060 gap with a heat range of 5, so I have been trying to find a equivlent plug that will fit these heads. Right now, I have NGK plugs, cant remember what # but they had a factory gap of .040, and I gapped them to .045 before the wire started to bend away from the electrode. I mean they are working but... Thanks for any input.

supspt454

Reaction score
I ran NGKs that were gapped at the 0.044" they came out of the box out. I never run a Vortec at 0.060" even a stock

R44LTS6 was the factory installed AC Delco plug. I have seen heat ranges listed as 3 and 4 for that plug with a .060 gap. NGK did say the TSB GM put out in like 2003 applied to 96-03 to change gap to .040. With that said, I have been looking all day for a heat range chart for AC Delco plugs with no luck. Just wondered what their range is. I am currently running NGK BKR5E plugs gapped to .045. Wondering now if they are to hot for this 383.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
R44LTS6 was the factory installed AC Delco plug. I have seen heat ranges listed as 3 and 4 for that plug with a .060 gap. NGK did say the TSB GM put out in like 2003 applied to 96-03 to change gap to .040. With that said, I have been looking all day for a heat range chart for AC Delco plugs with no luck. Just wondered what their range is. I am currently running NGK BKR5E plugs gapped to .045. Wondering now if they are to hot for this 383.
I run 42 equivalent heat range in my small blocks, but I run them hard. I would start with a 42 and go up 1 step if it reads that it is too cold. Easier to change a fouled out plug than it is to put pieces of piston back.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the spark plug manufacturers have a web, internet home . And have charts explaining there numbering system, and equivalent crossover lists. Wouldn't you make it easier for your customers, and keep them coming back?

supspt454

Reaction score
All the spark plug manufacturers have a web, internet home . And have charts explaining there numbering system, and equivalent crossover lists. Wouldn't you make it easier for your customers, and keep them coming back?
Hi. Yes, I have found lots of info on heat range charts from just about everyone except for AC Delco. NGK for example, the higher the number the colder the plug. They have a chart where you can actually see where the heat range number lands. However, I have heard that the lower the number the colder the plug for ACD but where is their chart to show me where a heat range number lands? I have looked all over. Maybe I am overlooking.

supspt454

Reaction score
This took about eight seconds. And it clearly explains the what numbers, letters denote.
You must be registered for see images attach
What in the world. Geez where did you find that. I must have been overlooking or something. Nice find.