Easiest way to change freezeout plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
My truck decided it was gonna give me a Christmas gift,a blown out freeze plug behind the driver side motor mount. What’s the easiest way of changing it? Really don’t wanna pull the engine back out again

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck decided it was gonna give me a Christmas gift,a blown out freeze plug behind the driver side motor mount. What’s the easiest way of changing it? Really don’t wanna pull the engine back out again

Easiest way I think is when the motor out lol. But I wouldn't wanna pull it out either for that. There a pain in the ass. Plus not a lot of swinging room to swing a hammer. Friend of mine was able to because he had a v6. V8 a different story. I would say jack up the motor a little. Like as if your changing a mount and remove the upper bracket on the mount and see if that gives you more clearance

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the plug came out then you're halfway done. On my flipper dually I was able to beat that plug (454) back in with a hammer and extensions. I only got to the back of the plug, couldn't hit it dead center, but it was still good enough to send it back home.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the plug corroded? If so, you need to replace them all. And that means the engine comes out.

If the plug popped out because the coolant froze, there's a really good chance the block is cracked. Pressure test engine, if you have problems with the pressure test, engine comes out for inspection.

If the plug popped out because it wasn't installed properly...are the other plugs also installed improperly? Engine comes out to inspect the other plugs.

I used to use epoxy as a core plug sealant. Now I use Locktite 271.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, if you have factory steel plugs in it.
And one popped, take a good look at the block all the way down both sides of it before you even bother.
Take a short flat edge to the side of the block and look for any swelling or cracked paint or corrosion coming out of the other casting plugs.
If it froze or got plugged full of crud you might find a radial "star shaped" series of cracks between or slightly below the plugs
If you see something sketchy looking.
Take a sanding block with some 80 grit and run over that spot to see if you find a "bulge" on the block.
Whatever you do, dont use a rubber expansion plug.
Those only get you down the road a few miles before they pop out.
Emergency use only

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got LUCKY on mine. I got to the truck a couple hours after the temperature nose dived and it had already knocked out 2 plugs. Aside from that, the only loss was a water pump and QD heater hose fitting on the intake. I was ******** my pants up to that point.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One reason I tend to consider 50/50 antifreeze/water to be a minimum. I've gone as far as 70/30 in the past.

Thank God for Global Warming. It's made this place much nicer.

I was 100% water and purging a bunch of rust out of the system on the flipper. Got lazy for a month or so and got caught with my pants down. Totally forgot it was full of water and by pure happenstance I found my way out to the truck that day to test a jumper harness I'd soldered up the night before to make the gauge cluster play nice with the diesel dash harness and gas engine harness.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, I vaguely remember when we moved from LA to Dallas in 93 our Custom C20 with a 402 Buick that we drove in July...our first freeze was Thanksgiving and truck had 100% tap water, LOL. That engine probably had never seen antifreeze living in Southern CA!

IIRC the freeze plug on the passenger side popped out. Don't remember how my Dad got it back in there, but must have been easy, given that he wasn't that mechanically inclined.

Anyways, freeze plugs popping are ALWAYS operator errors. Even if an engine has to come out to replace one, it's a better scenerio than a cracked block!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know that they're not intended to pop out when/if the coolant freezes...right?

They pop out, sometimes, but it's mostly pure luck.

They're intended as openings to remove the sand cores when the block is cast. Which is why it's better to call them "core plugs" than "freeze plugs".

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillGen55