Easiest way to change freezeout plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You do know that they're not intended to pop out when/if the coolant freezes...right?

They pop out, sometimes, but it's mostly pure luck.

They're intended as openings to remove the sand cores when the block is cast. Which is why it's better to call them "core plugs" than "freeze plugs".

No, didn't know that. Had always heard them called freeze plugs, but I have heard "core plugs" sometimes. Makes sense. Thanks.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Core plugs to get the sand out is the correct terminology. If you have one pushed out from freezing the chances of damage to the block is pretty high and the damage is not always external or only in one place.

I pulled a Mercruiser 5.7 that was improperly winterized and the head surface had split from the block about 5/8 of an inch below the head gasket surface on the lifter valley side. About a 6 inch length. It only takes once.

The hydraulic pressure created by freezing can crack a block wherever it's weakest and there is still plenty of water below the core plugs.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
It popped out because it wasn’t in properly,didn’t put any sealer on it when I had the engine out to do the swap. I just got a rubber one for now because it fits perfectly against the motor mount and won’t budge. It’ll do until my headers and new head gaskets get here,then I’ll pull the engine and redo everything right
Thanks for all the info guys! Greatly appreciated

Woodco

Reaction score
Put your new plugs in you’re freezer for about an hour or so. They will shrink enough that they should pop back in.