Dually Fender Marker Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread because I'm gonna need to come up with some kind of smoked dually fender lights for my '93. Since it appears nobody makes them but Klearz and it looks like you spend about $300 for all 4 of them smoked/assembled, not even including any LED's or shipping.. yeah, F that.

I'm tempted to see if I can boneyard a set in any condition, hoping actually to find ones with damaged lenses (man I used to have quite a few, forever ago) just so I can cut the lens off the housing and make my own lens out of smoked ABS plastic sheet.

Looking for any thoughts/options... sure as hell not gonna spend $45-$47/ea with LMC for new ones just to cut them up. I could cut up my originals but considering the scarcity I'd rather keep them intact as they're in fairly decent shape.

Oh, and looking for ideas on the tailgate lights, too. These are the ones that snap into the bases and are sealed assemblies with the bulb included, can't change the bulb. A couple companies make clear ones but they have a clear bulb (or LED) inside. I'd have to chop those open without killing them, change the LED to red, and I guess smoke the lenses with VHT Nightshades... ugh.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did actually just find some smoked 2.5x1.5" rectangular lenses that are the same shape but they've got a socket housing instead of the bulb built-in, which on one hand is good, because I don't have to chop them open. They come with a red LED and a pigtail socket. Problem is that's gonna take chopping on the tailgate. Drill out the rivets for the old plug bases, and use a step bit to enlarge the wiring hole so the socket will clear. It's not ideal but it'll work and looks like I'll be about $100 in for all 5. They're on a Ford site, because Ford used this similar shaped lamp for their 80-97 dually fenders. Looks like a workable piece in light of no other options just yet. They have them in clear, too, for anyone else looking to do their dually tailgate lights.

Richard
You keep saying fender lights, do you mean tailgate lights?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You keep saying fender lights, do you mean tailgate lights?
Both. Sorry.. didn't mean to confuse the topic. Need both. Looks like I've found a possible solution for the tailgate lights (those $20/ea from Complete Performance) .. but the fender lights are elusive, other than the stupid expensive ones from Klearz.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both. Sorry.. didn't mean to confuse the topic. Need both. Looks like I've found a possible solution for the tailgate lights (those $20/ea from Complete Performance) .. but the fender lights are elusive, other than the stupid expensive ones from Klearz.

Richard
I like the Quadstars fender lights I have, but I don't see them on their website any more.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread because I'm gonna need to come up with some kind of smoked dually fender lights for my '93. Since it appears nobody makes them but Klearz and it looks like you spend about $300 for all 4 of them smoked/assembled, not even including any LED's or shipping.. yeah, F that.

I'm tempted to see if I can boneyard a set in any condition, hoping actually to find ones with damaged lenses (man I used to have quite a few, forever ago) just so I can cut the lens off the housing and make my own lens out of smoked ABS plastic sheet.

Looking for any thoughts/options... sure as hell not gonna spend $45-$47/ea with LMC for new ones just to cut them up. I could cut up my originals but considering the scarcity I'd rather keep them intact as they're in fairly decent shape.

Oh, and looking for ideas on the tailgate lights, too. These are the ones that snap into the bases and are sealed assemblies with the bulb included, can't change the bulb. A couple companies make clear ones but they have a clear bulb (or LED) inside. I'd have to chop those open without killing them, change the LED to red, and I guess smoke the lenses with VHT Nightshades... ugh.

I did actually just find some smoked 2.5x1.5" rectangular lenses that are the same shape but they've got a socket housing instead of the bulb built-in, which on one hand is good, because I don't have to chop them open. They come with a red LED and a pigtail socket. Problem is that's gonna take chopping on the tailgate. Drill out the rivets for the old plug bases, and use a step bit to enlarge the wiring hole so the socket will clear. It's not ideal but it'll work and looks like I'll be about $100 in for all 5. They're on a Ford site, because Ford used this similar shaped lamp for their 80-97 dually fenders. Looks like a workable piece in light of no other options just yet. They have them in clear, too, for anyone else looking to do their dually tailgate lights.

Richard

Are you above rattle canning what you have to smoke them?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are you above rattle canning what you have to smoke them?
It's an option, but not going to have the same appearance as clear/smoked plastic to match the tails, corners, and tailgate lights. That's why I'm considering trying to find some beat-up originals and split the lens off the housing, and make my own lenses. I've seen a few people go this route in the past, it's just finding the right material and putting forth the effort.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's an option, but not going to have the same appearance as clear/smoked plastic to match the tails, corners, and tailgate lights. That's why I'm considering trying to find some beat-up originals and split the lens off the housing, and make my own lenses. I've seen a few people go this route in the past, it's just finding the right material and putting forth the effort.

Richard
I wonder if some of these lenses could be made by 3D printing, if the plastic material is translucent enough and the finished part can be polished.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if some of these lenses could be made by 3D printing, if the plastic material is translucent enough and the finished part can be polished.
Not the definitive answer but a buddy of mine that dabbles in it says he hasn't seen a transparent material that would be suitable for a lens. There's some that is "sort of" but it's a white material that looks more like a white gmt400 dome light lens, to me. He also said the PLA material is pretty rigid so it would need to be a "perfect" fit or it might break. These dually fenders are anything but uniform and perfect, in my experience. Plus on top of material selection issues you'd still need someone to do some good CAD work to draw up the housings and lenses.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Not the definitive answer but a buddy of mine that dabbles in it says he hasn't seen a transparent material that would be suitable for a lens. There's some that is "sort of" but it's a white material that looks more like a white gmt400 dome light lens, to me. He also said the PLA material is pretty rigid so it would need to be a "perfect" fit or it might break. These dually fenders are anything but uniform and perfect, in my experience. Plus on top of material selection issues you'd still need someone to do some good CAD work to draw up the housings and lenses.

Richard
Good to know! Some of the guys in our model car club (Houston Automotive Modelers Society) are getting into that. Some of the things they've brought to meetings are pretty impressive as far as details and fidelity to the source materials. But it probably would be better to use 3D printing for emblems and stuff that doesn't have to bend.