Driveshaft angle .......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting I’ve never heard of a driveshaft minimum angle until now, I’ve always just heard less angle=better. I tried doing some research on it and still couldn’t come up with a whole lot but there are some others recommending 1/2° minimum for lubrication of the needle bearings.
U-joints are designed to work on an angle, NOT straight flopping.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting I’ve never heard of a driveshaft minimum angle until now, I’ve always just heard less angle=better. I tried doing some research on it and still couldn’t come up with a whole lot but there are some others recommending 1/2° minimum for lubrication of the needle bearings.
you might be thinking of a LIFTED truck, with TO MUCH angle.?

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U-joints are designed to work on an angle, NOT straight flopping.
I understand this, they wouldn’t flop being straight. If it wasn’t for the lubrication issue previously stated straight would be ideal for multiple reasons. Also I was not thinking about maximum angle on lifted trucks. although it is new to me, I am talking about minimum angle.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Off subject a bit, But think back in the days I seen certain type drag boats in line shaft with no U-Joint or CV to withstand the torque... Can't remember though..
Possibly, but as I stated I'm no expert. Drag boats were a hell of a combination though. I love hearing there start up

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly, but as I stated I'm no expert. Drag boats were a hell of a combination though. I love hearing there start up

Shame that most of the guys who raced Top Fuel Hydro died. There was a time when there would be 9-10 Top Fuel Hydros competing for an 8 boat field at the year-end event in Phoenix @ Firebird. Those were the days...

"Spirit of Texas"
"What a Tomato"
"Speed Sport Special"
"Problem Child"
others I don't remember

Some of these may still be around, but it ain't what it used to be.

Honestly, there's no business putting a fuel engine in a watercraft IMHO, but they did it anyway... and it made a great show until someone got hurt, but even that didn't stop them :patriot:

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shame that most of the guys who raced top fuel hydro died. There was a time when there would be 9-10 boats competing for an 8 boat field at the year-end event in Phoenix @ Firebird. Those were the days...

"Spirit of Texas"
"What a Tomato"
"Speed Sport Special"
"Problem Child"
others I don't remember

Honestly, there's no business putting a fuel engine in a watercraft IMHO, but they did it anyway... and it made a great show until someone got hurt, but even that didn't stop them :patriot:
Eddy Hill went to top fuel rails after the top fuel drag boats he ran, BECAUSE the drag boats so dangerous he said .

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shame that most of the guys who raced top fuel hydro died. There was a time when there would be 9-10 boats competing for an 8 boat field at the year-end event in Phoenix @ Firebird. Those were the days...

"Spirit of Texas"
"What a Tomato"
"Speed Sport Special"
"Problem Child"
others I don't remember

Not drag boats, but the Hydros alot of them had Allison 12 cyl. AWESOME you remember some of them..! I'm retired now but I was a commercial printer for 35 years, I printed up the passes for the Big Boy Race Guy's that came here to Canandaigua lake and Seneca Lake in Geneva NY. back in 1981, I printed up extra pit passes for me and friends LOL... We got to meet and see the Budweiser Hydro and the Atlas Van Lines Hydro up close..
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not drag boats, but the Hydros alot of them had Allison 12 cyl. We got to meet and see the Budweiser Hydro and the Atlas Van Lines Hydro up close..

A friend of mine (Jim) in Saginaw worked with Les Staudacher. Staudacher, in Baytown Mi, was behind the Allison engines / hydro boat marriage, specifically Miss Budweiser and others. Jim worked on those engines with Les and has in his possession a set of service manuals for the Allison V12 engines.

Jim and I've been to the air races in Reno to see the unlimited class races, in particular "Voodoo" P-51 (Merlin V-12 powered) piloted by Steven Hinton, Jr.

Steve Hinton, Jr's uncle, John Hinton, was the pilot for a ride I took in one of the P-51s owned by the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA. Fun times.

Talk about derailing a thread...

(edit) Read about Les Staudacher and the Allison powered race boats here: http://thunderboats.ning.com/page/les-staudacher-remembered

Last edited: