Downgrade 95' to 88/89' headlight K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikester

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a homologation problem with my 95 K1500 here in germany. Problem is that the 95' composite headlights are not HCR or HC/R code (the code embossed in the glass).

After an odissey I had to realize that my type headlights is/were not available with this code.

I found out however that the earlier models, 88 & 89 were also made in europe (Hella i.e.) so I am thinking about downgrading.

My grill has already the supports for either option it looks like.

Anyone ever did this downgrade? I mean if I track down the headlights, adjusters and support bracket, would it be a big deal to change them?

Any hint is more than welcome!

Mikester

Reaction score
Easy. This thread i posted should have most of your answers. The adjusters won't be hard to find, but the t84 (germany) Bosch H4 headlights are going to be hard to find. I haven't seen a set in years.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech-...eam-upgrades-bosch-t84-e-code-headlights.946/
Hi Dave, yeah I read your post before but I wasn't sure you swapped just the lamps for other ones or if you changed from paired headlight to singles.

I know the Boschs are rare but I think I found a source for Hella's over here. They bought a whole bunch some time ago I was told.

Thank for your help!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Hi Dave, yeah I read your post before but I wasn't sure you swapped just the lamps for other ones or if you changed from paired headlight to singles.

I know the Boschs are rare but I think I found a source for Hella's over here. They bought a whole bunch some time ago I was told.

Thank for your help!
Ah gotcha. Well you can easily swap them, a local friend of mine did that in his 96 but used the LMC headlight lenses.
http://www.gmt400.com/posts/692167/

If you happen to have a link to the hella lights, I'd be very curious to see those. The bosch ones work great over here, would love to have another option.

Mikester

Reaction score
Careful, those are a different size. The size of the quad sealed beam lights is 92 mm x 150 mm. The US sealed beams are H4701/H4703.

Hi Dave, I was able to source a set of quad headlamp assemblies for the truck, looks pretty neat! But they still have the old sealed beams in them.

Over here the requirement is h/cr so high and low beam in one lamp...yeah don't ask...

I want to get rid of the aux headlights I had to install on the bumper and use the 88/89 style headlights.

I know it's hard to find those nos bosch or hellas but anyways I'm lost what the original set up was in those trucks.

Guess the outer lights were the low beams and the inner ones high beams? If so did the low beams stay on while in high beam?

Any new hints about conversion lamps to non sealed beam anyways?

Thanks.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Hi Dave, I was able to source a set of quad headlamp assemblies for the truck, looks pretty neat! But they still have the old sealed beams in them.

Over here the requirement is h/cr so high and low beam in one lamp...yeah don't ask...

I want to get rid of the aux headlights I had to install on the bumper and use the 88/89 style headlights.

I know it's hard to find those nos bosch or hellas but anyways I'm lost what the original set up was in those trucks.

Guess the outer lights were the low beams and the inner ones high beams? If so did the low beams stay on while in high beam?

Any new hints about conversion lamps to non sealed beam anyways?

Thanks.
So here in the US 88-89 were sealed beam, low outer and high inner. In america the lows turned off with the highs.

Export units used a bosch housing with H4 bulbs, there were an outer low and inner high, but being they were h4 bulbs the outer could easily be both if that was the requirement. I know the inner was high only based on the Bosch coding system.

Unfortunately I don't have any good ideas to help you out, other than trying to find somewhere in Germany that has a set of the lights. Over there there were in G-series chevy vans and firebird cars, so maybe try sourcing places that carry parts for them?