Door panel insert removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to re-cover the carpeted part of the door on my 95- the insert that is around the door handle and is carpeted from the factory. Is there a how to on taking the door pane apart?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, those aren't really inserts in the sense that they don't just pop out or come apart. The carpet is just glued to the panel. I believe someone (sewlow?) posted a thread about it, I'll see if I can find it.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
This is the only pic I can find of the one I had, but I swapped them out for Escalade inserts I painted grey/black.
It was a real pain to remove them on either door without really messing the door panels up. I took a utility knife and cut the vinyl all around the fabric insert and slowly peeled back the fabric.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think df2 is right, I want to say sewlew has a thread somewhere on recovering it.

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks like it will be a little tougher than I thought but should still be doable without taking the panels apart completely.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
IIRC, & it's been a while since I dd some of these, those inserts are epoxied on.
Gotta get that bezel around the door handle/lock off, first. There's a trick to those. The have 3 clips around the inside edge of the bezel opening, @ 12, 3 & 6 o'clock. Need a couple or 3 thin flat head screwdrivers to pop each one to the outside.
Get in there @ the bezel opening with a putty knife to break that epoxy free from the main door panel. You can go around the outside edge too, but be careful not to catch the putty knife on any part that'll show once that insert is replaced.
This is a job that's much easier when the door panel is removed & done on a bench. Your knees & lower back will thank you!
Removing the door panel s actually pretty simple. Just have patience & don't get too ham-******. Some of the clips will break! Replacements are made by Dorman. Plenty of How-to's for that on youtube.