DJM Shackle and Hanger kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Anyone ever use this kit? http://m.summitracing.com/parts/djm-hs1121-4 were be parts quality, and is installation hard? Even if you haven't what all goes into a shackle and hanger drop? I have a buddy with 2" drop coils for the front so I just need the rear drop, before anyone says anything about that

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

JWP80

Reaction score
I am going to order mine any day now. I had posted a few lines down about going from a 4" drop to 5". Anyhow, most all of them use the same design. I'm not sure why DJM is about 40 bucks less than everyone else. Maybe thinner metal, or maybe the other guys are just overcharging. Even chassis tech is more expensive.

As far as the install goes, you have to remove the rivets holding the front hanger on, usually done by cutting an X in the head of the rivet and then using an air hammer to pound them out. Some people also use a torch to cut them out. Then you bolt the new one back on using the same holes the rivets were in. The rear is just a matter removing the stock shackle and replacing it with the drop shackle. There are two holes in the shackle, so essentially with this kit, you could go from 2", 3" or 4" drop based on which parts you use.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Any special quirks to the (I assume) bolts that replace the rivets, like moving the gas tank to install? I noticed the hanger on the driver's side is next to the gas tank on my truck. Good to know about the 2/3/4 settings, since I probably won't be able to get the front coils for a while. I assume I can just switch the hole the shackle is mounted with to go further down after I get the coils?

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I have done the hanger shackle kit on my truck before bags. I found it easier to use a grinder and grind the rivet heads smooth. Then they will come right out with a punch. You may have to grind part of the bed bracket smooth because it sticks up behind the stock hangers. I had to do this to get the drop hanger to sit flush to the frame.

I was able to not remove the straps to the gas tank to install bolts. I have small hands and it was a pain. It will be easier if you move the tank out of the way but can be done without moving it.

The rest is straight forward. The hardest part is getting the stock hangers off.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
I have relatively small hands too so I'll probably give it a shot without moving the tank first.
Yeah the stock hangers are going to be a pain on mine, being from Michigan. There's still a lot of stock paint on the frame but that doesn't mean the hangers aren't rusted to the frame.