Distributor recommendation for 89 tbi 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I replaced my cap and rotor a few months ago, pretty much everything in my distributor was super corroded. I'm getting a pretty bad miss at idle. The TBIchips.com site says that replacing distributor after 100k is a must. Mine has 115K on it and it sat for 3 years. It makes a loud ticking noise like it's arcing inside, and one of the bolt holes to hold down the cap is stripped. I figure it's time to replace.

Anyways, what is the recommended replacement? Advance has a Cardone reman for $89. TBIchips.com recommends the GM performance one but it's $222! My truck is bone stock and I plan on keeping it that way. Recommendations?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whenever I replace ignition components I always go with OEM AC Delco.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Check the ignition module which is under the rotor bug. Also the spark plug wires.

Could you post a pic of the corrosion your talking about? My Impala has some rust in its distributor for the last 12 years but has no issues other than the ignition module, cap and rotor bug change.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any pics of it at the moment, I just remember when I replaced the list cap, i was like "whoa, that can't be good" in reaction to all the corrosion underneath. Plug wires are brand new (replaced sunday) BWD wires. I'm just starting to feel like it ran well after sitting for three years, but now stuff is starting to crumble. I'm going to re check the base timing to see if it's out. Any truth to the statement from TBI chips.com that if your distributor has over 100K it should definitely be replaced? (especially in my case where it sat for the last three years?)

Anyone have a part number on that Delphi unit? I'm not seeing a delphi on rock auto.

Last edited:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Corrosion could be from a cracked cap and getting moisture in or the loose stripped bolt letting it in, the ignition module could be corroded too. no truth to having to do it at 100K, many go double that our more. Most common is a worn gear and then there is a play and you get an intermittent miss.

Here is the exact model I bought, has been great:

Delphi CZ20001

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
With one screw hole stripped that is not good. You will get moisture in there and the clicking sound is most likely the rotor bug hitting the cap in a spot or 2. You could try to remove the screw from the cap and look for a longer one and install a nut below where the longer screw will protrude from the base of the distributor, that may fix your miss it has.