Distributor; is this bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Sport16

Reaction score
89 C1500 5.7, engine lost power and stalled when I step on the gas. Only running on about 1/2 the cylinders, I pulled the distributor cap and the star wheel in the distributor was disintegrated. So far I've ordered a new distributor, plugs, wires, and I'll go from there.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure your question was rhetorical, but "yup" you'll need a new distributor. That's part of the magnetic pickup assembly; without that intact the distributor can't tell the module when to fire.

Richard

89Sport16

Reaction score
Pretty sure your question was rhetorical, but "yup" you'll need a new distributor. That's part of the magnetic pickup assembly; without that intact the distributor can't tell the module when to fire.

Richard

Check engine light came on but I didn't get an error code. only 112k on the truck, not sure if something other than age might have contributed to this failure.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Water damage. With only 112k on an '89 it was probably sitting outside for a while?

Whatever caused it, you'll fix it with the parts you already ordered.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those parts start out as bare metal when new. They rust over time. Haven't opened one up yet that wasn't rusty. Give it long enough and it will fail. Not like you gotta give the truck submarine lessons or anything...

Richard