Difference between rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, I'd stick with standard rotors unless it's a show truck. Slotted and/or drilled rotors will wear out pads faster with negligible returns, plus they can't be turned and resurfaced in the future. (At least my mechanic won't)

Doublestack00

Reaction score
IMO, I'd stick with standard rotors unless it's a show truck. Slotted and/or drilled rotors will wear out pads faster with negligible returns, plus they can't be turned and resurfaced in the future. (At least my mechanic won't)

Do you know if there is any difference between say the $25, 30 and $45 rotors the parts store offer?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest, not really. I tend to go with brands I know. You could figure out what brands they offer and do some google searching.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm the last guy on the brakes & the first on the gas. Have a tendency to stuff the truck into the corners! For some reason, the outside edges of my front tires always seem to wear fast. How DOES that happen? Lol!
I would warp a set of rotors a year. Standard semi-metallic pads.
Then I bought a set of R1 Concepts rotors. Ceramic pads.
Four years of abuse & they never warped! Probably dropped 25' off of my stop distance @ 60 mph, too!
They've paid for that extra initial cost many times over.
I just ordered another set for my blue truck.
Pads, D & S'd rotors (E-line) & new calipers...$278.48. I'd of spent at least 2-3X that amount on OEM parts in the length of time that these will last.

Ask Dagen how he likes his R1 brakes. There are others here that run them, too. Just can't recall who else does.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
25' at 60mph? 4 years?? Wow. I had no idea the difference was that big. Maybe I'll reconsider and try out some R1 stuff next time I need rotors. I have the same issue as far as wearing stuff out quickly, would be nice not to have to replace all my brake parts once every year or two.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Took a l-o-n-g time to get used to the brakes on my blue truck after driving with the R1's on my black one.
Gotta follow further back on the freeway. Look farther ahead. Have to anticipate stupidity. Kills E.T.'s, having to brake sooner, longer.
I can't say enough good about the R1 brakes. Confidence inspiring! Big improvement over G.M.'s offerings!
I can't wait to try them out with a hydro-boost system.
One of the top 3 mods on either of my GMT400's.
I can't see brakes on these trucks getting any better short of a big $$$ ($3500.00+?) big brake 4whl disc swap.

Doublestack00

Reaction score
I just all the brake stuff, hopefully this will give me some decent improvement.

Here is what I ordered:
NBS Master Cylinder
OE AC Delco Rotors
Bendix Fleet Metlok Pads
Russell Steel Braided Brakes Lines
3/4 Calipers (with the larger piston)

With the truck being 25 years I am banking on this being a night and day difference from it's current condition as the brake hoses are original and it is in need or rotors and pads.

I am going to flush the system very well and try to get all of the old fluid out of every line on the truck while doing all this.