Did you hear about that Mercedes guys Chevy transmission problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went and worked on a 1985 K-5, I think its a 700R4. A transmission I dont know shat about. I went and replaced the distributor (it wouldn't start)

So what I am asking is for your to read the diagnosis and give your opinion on the issue.

Remember I worked on Mercedes and I have a good understanding of automatic transmissions, I just dont know anything about a 700R4.

Tranny full (now that it runs), no real visiable leaks, Cables and wiring is all hooked up and looks ok.

He drove the truck all day, shifted fine all day, turned a corner, went to accellrate and no upshift from that point forward. Locks right into reverse and first. When it is suppose to shift there is no shift, but it also stays LOCKED in first. Like its not being allowed to upshift. Not like its stripped.

Help a Benz guy out, and catch him up to speed?

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TV cable adjustment?

Move the cable all the way one way so when you push the gas pedal to the floor it self adjusts. This is how they are supposed to be adjusted. IIRC - If the TV cable is not hooked up or not adjusted correctly, it will usually act like you say. It will only shift manually into second at WOT.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
^^ That or valve body blockage. Can't remember if the 700R has it, but the 350 and 400s have a vac line at the rear of the trans. If it pops off it won't shift out of 1st unless you manually shift it.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would first turn off the truck, stomp the accelerator 3-4 good times hard as you can. That works the throttle valve in the transmission. They are very bad about sticking. Then crank it and see if it shifts. You want the cable adjusted where when you start throttling, it starts moving the cable out. No slack. If after you stomp it and still no shift, pull the governor and see if the plastic gear is stripped. Its on the driver side, about 3 inch round cover. Pop off the clip, and take a screw driver and pop off the cover. The governor will pull out. It has a plastic gear that will strip. If it is good, hold the governor upright, push in the bottom tabs, see if the valve is moving up and down. It may be stuck. If neither is the case, most likely will have to pull the valve body and unstick the throttle valve. They make a after market spring to go in that will prevent it from sticking.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I would first turn off the truck, stomp the accelerator 3-4 good times hard as you can. That works the throttle valve in the transmission. They are very bad about sticking.

That did it for me. I had the sticking in 1st problem. Changed the tranny fluid, filter, and gasket, but it happened again after my bro took it mudding. Then the stomping thing and some WD-40 on the cable fixed it. Try that, OP.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to come back to this topic.

Turned out the clip at the end of the cable broke.