Detailing photos/discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Got a range rover and Jaguar this weekend. The jag will be up for a full paint correction in the next couple of weeks. Gonna try M105 and M205 to see if that will get the job done. If not I may just let it go somewhere else. It's black, and I don't quite feel comfortable wet sanding a 60k dollar car yet lol.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Got a question for the pro's. What does one do with a vehicle that has brand new paint regarding polishing? Assuming the paint is perfect, are there any benefits to doing an extremely light (likely by hand so super duper light) polish? Any added protection? Or would it just shine up the clear coat pretty good?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Most body shops make the car look good the average person. I would polish it just like any other car and dont use sealant or wax for about a month to let the paint breath and dissipate fumes. If it does look good already i would just polish it with my DA using a 6" microfiber cut disc from meguiars and use M205.

Just FYI. M205 needs to be worked for several passes to get it to work at full potential. I use medium pressure for 3 passes then lighten up on the buffer and allow it to speed up. M205 starts as light cutting compound and diminishes with each pass into a nice finishing polish which really give the car that wet look.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swamphound if the car is perfect there should be no need to polish. It's not gonna get more perfect. Polishing is fixing mistakes in washing, waxing etc. if you wash a car correctly you don't need to polish again. The object is to maintain the car by touching the paint as little as possible.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Most body shops make the car look good the average person. I would polish it just like any other car and dont use sealant or wax for about a month to let the paint breath and dissipate fumes. If it does look good already i would just polish it with my DA using a 6" microfiber cut disc from meguiars and use M205.

Just FYI. M205 needs to be worked for several passes to get it to work at full potential. I use medium pressure for 3 passes then lighten up on the buffer and allow it to speed up. M205 starts as light cutting compound and diminishes with each pass into a nice finishing polish which really give the car that wet look.
Could you offer some insight on the different types if cutting/polishing pads? What's the difference from ultra cutting, medium, light, ultra light, finishing etc.
Swamphound if the car is perfect there should be no need to polish. It's not gonna get more perfect. Polishing is fixing mistakes in washing, waxing etc. if you wash a car correctly you don't need to polish again. The object is to maintain the car by touching the paint as little as possible.
That's what I figured. Again, we're assuming the paint is completely perfect, with no damage. Showroom new.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Sort of depends on what buffer you are using and also just personal preference and experience with different paints combined. Extra cut pads i only use with my porter cable random orbital, they are excellent at getting out bad defects and sanding scratches. however, you can not just use an extra cut pad and then wax because you will see very fine scratches in the paint (not scratched like from a rotary aka swirls) its almost a haze. This haze is a result of cutting out the bad defects but can easily be taken out using a must lighter cut polish like M205 or D302 with either a regular cut pad or finishing pad depending on the softness of the paint. The reason i dont use extra cut pads on my rupes DA is because you need some backing on the pad and the rupes has more cutting power. I use regular cut pads on the rupes and can pretty much fix anything. I also use M205 with the cut pad on the rupes on most cars, but if i see any haze i switch to the finishing pad. When applying wax/sealant i only use the finishing pads and my porter cable. I really like M85, its old but works well for me. I like it because it cuts as much as M105 for the first pass or 2 and then starts to diminish in to a polish more like M205, this makes it almost a true 1 step polish if you know how to use it correctly and properly understand whats happening. either way if you go over any car you polish with a finishing pad and D302 i think you will be happy you took the time, it really makes the gloss crazy!

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
So judging by your post... When choosing pads, it's about finding the pad that cuts as desired, with a specific buffer and polish? Makes sense. I've just seen so many different people, using so many different pads it got extremely confusing. Thanks for clearing that up!