Decided to LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just have your 700r4 rebuilt?
Dirty dingo adjustable mounts keep your transmission in the same location so everything works.
Y’know I actually thought about that but I’d rather have the modern transmission to go with the engine. I’d also like to not have to mess around with a tv cable. Lastly the Holley ecu I’m going with will control the transmission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure how the market is in Ohio.
Down here in MS i find them all day long for less than $100.
What are you doing for a dash?
I havent gotten to mess with one of these yet.

But i put these in 99% of the race cars i wire.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sure how the market is in Ohio.
Down here in MS i find them all day long for less than $100.
What are you doing for a dash?
I havent gotten to mess with one of these yet.

But i put these in 99% of the race cars i wire.
I’d like to go with Dakota Digital but will most likely stick with stock for the time being. I’m actually getting ready to call them and ask about integration with the Holley system.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 1000%. I like Dana and find him a wealth of information but a 4L80E with a quality converter that has been gone through with high energy stock clutches, internally dual fed and rollerized is better in every way than a 4L60E regardless of how it is built. A stock 80E will take twice the abuse of the best built 60E and with some basic upgrades the 80E is far better than a 60E ever will be.
So I talked with a local transmission builder today. He suggested I find a 6L80/90 out of a van and let him build that up for me. Said it’s a sweet 6 speed transmission and would be great for my build. We spoke in depth for about 30 min. I showed him my truck and told him what it was that I was after regarding the build. He’s done a ton of builds like this and he said he could build me something very nice for my application and that he would stand behind it 100%.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figuring out how to attach and operate a 6L80E will add time, complication, and expense to your build, but maybe the efficiency gains over time would negate the expense part.

For just about the cost of the controller for that trans, you could go to the yard and yank an entire bolt-in 4L80E setup.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda going about this in the hardest manner possible, but looks like you have already got stuff, and going to follow that path.

Finding a complete donor from an NBS would have likely been cheaper and easier. People get caught up on all the other stuff, when just getting it in and everything working is usually a decent task in itself.

Pretty sure the 6L80 is longer, but I may be wrong. That would require trans crossmember mods, and a custom driveshaft. When these trucks came with a 4L80, and the cheapie non adjustable LS swap brackets work fine too.

Your radiator choice is kinda...I dunno. The factory big block radiator for OBS trucks bolts right in, has more capacity than even the biggest in the HD NBS trucks, and has a port you can use for the stem vent, with a 5/8 to 1/4 hose adapter. Hoses go right up, no problems.

Stock ecm and cam would have been fine for the time being, pretty sure youre going to be over the HP from the factory vortec.

You speak of an unmolested truck, when your swap could almost look factory without all this other stuff.

I realize none of what I am saying is going to be of any help really, but just figured I'd throw that out there.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I talked with a local transmission builder today. He suggested I find a 6L80/90 out of a van and let him build that up for me. Said it’s a sweet 6 speed transmission and would be great for my build. We spoke in depth for about 30 min. I showed him my truck and told him what it was that I was after regarding the build. He’s done a ton of builds like this and he said he could build me something very nice for my application and that he would stand behind it 100%.
Add this to your parts to buy if your going with the 6L80/90.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d like to go with Dakota Digital but will most likely stick with stock for the time being. I’m actually getting ready to call them and ask about integration with the Holley system.
I integrated the Dakota digital VHX in a 69C10 with a Terminator x and your fixin to spend some money!
You could put the 5" dash in and have everything you need for substantially less.