Decided to LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ICT Billets make a ton of different AC compressor adaptors that work with the truck FEAD setup, which is the only accessory you would might NEED to move.
I used the R4 compressor high on the passenger side on the 87 G20. Barely fit on the 6.0L in the van. I would recomeend tossing the R4 in the trash though.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ICT Billets make a ton of different AC compressor adaptors that work with the truck FEAD setup, which is the only accessory you would might NEED to move.
I plan on looking at ICT drive stuff. I will absolutely keep the AC. That Holley drive is so nice looking though!

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 1000%. I like Dana and find him a wealth of information but a 4L80E with a quality converter that has been gone through with high energy stock clutches, internally dual fed and rollerized is better in every way than a 4L60E regardless of how it is built. A stock 80E will take twice the abuse of the best built 60E and with some basic upgrades the 80E is far better than a 60E ever will be.
I guess my question is what do I need? I’m not building a 750hp monster. Whatever the BTR cam will give me is all I’m going for. That built 4L60 will handle that no problem. It’s lighter and should fit my truck just fine. I haven’t purchased it yet so I’ve got time to look into a 80.

I do have a question regarding the driveshaft. Will I need a shorter one if I go with either the 60 or 80?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my question is what do I need? I’m not building a 750hp monster. Whatever the BTR cam will give me is all I’m going for. That built 4L60 will handle that no problem. It’s lighter and should fit my truck just fine. I haven’t purchased it yet so I’ve got time to look into a 80.

I do have a question regarding the driveshaft. Will I need a shorter one if I go with either the 60 or 80?

I swapped a V6 4l60e to an LS 4l60e and the trans and crossmember went back to the original location and still using the same driveshaft. I think if you get the Dirty Dingo mounts it should work out the same for you since they have some adjustment.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

What kinda budge you working with?
Id buy a known good 4l60 to cruise with. But for longevity id go with a stock 4l80.
I dont see the point in spending 4k on a 4l60 for something to ride around with.
I buy burnt up 4l60s for $50-100 then take them to my buddy and have him freshen them up for $900. They work if the tune is correct and you run a larger fluid cooler. You can get 100k miles out of them if your just going to ride around.
And on the holley side if you need some help let me know. I try to talk everyone into using the holley ECUs, can do some trick stuff with them.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Why not just have your 700r4 rebuilt?
Dirty dingo adjustable mounts keep your transmission in the same location so everything works.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kinda budge you working with?
Id buy a known good 4l60 to cruise with. But for longevity id go with a stock 4l80.
I dont see the point in spending 4k on a 4l60 for something to ride around with.
I buy burnt up 4l60s for $50-100 then take them to my buddy and have him freshen them up for $900. They work if the tune is correct and you run a larger fluid cooler. You can get 100k miles out of them if your just going to ride around.
And on the holley side if you need some help let me know. I try to talk everyone into using the holley ECUs, can do some trick stuff with them.
I appreciate that. I’m definitely going with the Holley ecu. As for the transmission I’m not finding any cheap
60s around here at the auto wreckers. When I priced it all out it was about the same to go with that Performabuilt unit. My son has a gmc k1500 with a 4L60e in it and he paid $2300 to have it rebuilt at a transmission shop. The cheapest used 4L60e I could find was like $1500.